Building Materials Manufacturer Looks to Hire Department Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Department Manager for a building materials manufacturer in the Richmond, VA area. Our Client has been a leader in the building materials industry for over 150 years, and is known for building quality home products with an emphasis on doors to serve a variety of home styles, needs, and décor.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Department Manager will guide and manage a manufacturing department at our Client’s manufacturing plant in the Richmond, VA area, including overseeing the production of goods and the provision of services to provide customers with top quality, cost competitive, and environmentally friendly product in a safe and timely manner. This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for monitoring and analyzing the current system of production and quality to ensure its effectiveness, and implementing strategies for continuous improvement in the department. The Department Manager plays a vital role in managing day-to-day activities, productivity, on-time product delivery, analyzing statistics and reading/writing reports for the department to contribute to the overall plant operation. The successful candidate must be able to drive a high-level of positive culture, liaising with peer team members, and interacting with managers in other areas of the organization; presenting findings to management and owners as well as training and supervising new employees, and tracking and measuring staff performance for the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Planning, controlling, and implementing positive change.
- Managing quality assurance programs.
- Researching new technologies and alternative methods of efficiency.
- Safety and development of a superior workforce in an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance.
- Ensure that all product is manufactured in an accurate, cost-effective, and timely manner in alignment with specifications and quality requirements.
- Chalking out and improving operational systems, processes, and best practices that guarantee organizational well-being.
- Perform quality controls and monitor production KPI’s.
- Recruit, train, and supervise employees.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years’ experience in manufacturing management in a leadership position.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes and continuous improvement activities.
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge and experience; certification is a plus.
- Must pass a background check and drug screen.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication, leadership, and planning skills
- Strong customer focus
- Strong person-centric focus
- Passion for developing direct reports and others
- Hands-on leadership approach
- Strategic planning capabilities
- Drive for results
- High integrity
**This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.