Building Products Manufacturer Looks to Hire General Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a respected manufacturer and distributor within the residential and commercial construction industries in the Northeast. Our Client prides itself on its long-standing ability to bring high quality brands and creative thought leadership to the industry as part of its overarching effort to support businesses’ growth. Importantly, our Client fosters a solid corporate culture and is committed to making a difference in its community, both through its organization as a whole and its individual employees.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the General Manager will have complete responsibility for market growth and P&L for a growing business unit in the Northeast. This position necessarily involves planning, directing, training, and leading all activities of the sales organization, as well as providing direction for the Distribution Center. This role offers a unique and challenging opportunity for an individual with strong business acumen, deep Northeast relationships, high energy, and entrepreneurial gifts to create a market leadership position for this business unit. The General Manager will have a position on the Company’s leadership team, which has responsibility for setting the overall direction for the Company, as well as establishing execution strategies therefor. The General Manager may reside in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic states but will be expected to travel throughout the year to the Distribution Center and to other locations such as trade shows, etc.
The qualified candidate for General Manager will be an energetic, organized self-starter possessing a desire to serve. He or she must also have demonstrated leadership abilities and a commitment to self-development. Finally, the General Manager must have the ability to model and inspire others to model the Company’s core values, which include, among others: servant leadership, integrity, sound judgment, and mentoring.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Develop, in coordination with the Company’s Leadership Team, an aggressive growth plan that addresses revenue targets, and operating plans, while encompassing specific channels of distribution, customer groups and key brand categories.
- Oversee all sales and sales-related functions; including sales strategy, sales training, forecasting, territory management and people development.
- Identify necessary support resources for the sales team and mobilize these required resources to successfully gain market share.
- Mentor and coach a seasoned, highly skilled team of sales professionals, continually working to develop their skills.
- Expand existing relationships in this market and establish new ones.
- Perform general management duties of the Distribution Center, exercising usual authority concerning staff, performance appraisals, promotions, and terminations. Responsible for training and development of staff, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, interpreting and ensuring consistent application of organizational policies.
- Accountable for delivering year-to-year improvement of operational results: financial, quality, service, safety.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a General Manager with full responsibility for P&L.
- 5 years’ experience building and leading a dynamic sales organization.
- 10 years’ experience in the Building Supply industry.
- Excellent demonstrated leadership development skills.
- Established relationships with relevant businesses in New England, New York, and New Jersey.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to make critical decisions while following Company procedures.
- Strong collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, detail orientation, and persistent follow through.
- Evidence of leadership inside and outside of the business role.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects at the same time.
- Ability to confidently lead, inspire, encourage, and motivate a successful team in accordance with the Company’s corporate culture.
- Confident, independent self-starter with competitive drive, initiative, a sense of urgency, and the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them.
**This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.