General Manager Needed for Building Products Supplier
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager (GM) for a leading building products supplier. Reporting to the President and CEO, the GM will be actively engaged in the leadership and management of each of our Client’s wholesale distribution centers involved in the distribution of building products, such as lumber and millwork. The GM will also be responsible for the branches’ business results, including sales, profit margins, inventory, expenses, and the individual profitability of each branch location. Additional duties will include coordinating activities of the organization to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of operations, as well as maximizing profits by performing a vareity of duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. **This search is a confidential search. Relocation within the United States may be required.**
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, develop, and implement organizational objectives.
- Coordinate activities of division or departments such as operating, manufacturing, engineering, planning, sales, maintenance, or research and development to effect operational efficiency and economy.
- Direct and coordinate promotion of products sold or services performed to develop new markets, increase market share, and obtain competitive positions in the industry.
- Analyze branch budget requests to identify areas in which modifications can be made to assure results in accordance with approved budget.
- Confer with administrative personnel and review activity, operating, and sales reports to determine changes in programs or operation required to achieve objectives.
- Direct preparation of directives to division or department administrator outlining policy, program, or operational changes to be implemented.
- Promote organization in industry, manufacturing or trade associations.
- Develop a business plan including a sales forecast.
- Ensure service levels meet customer needs and expectations.
- Develop, maintain, and improve customer, vendor, and employee relationships.
- Efficiently use all assets including materials, machines, equipment, and staff.
- Control cost and determine future capital requirements of the business.
- Ensure workplace safety and compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Maintain high ethical standard in all business dealings.
- Review information to determine employee performance and areas for improvement.
- Implement and comply with required company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred and/or four to ten years of related experience and or training; or equivalent combination of education or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of creating and managing an outside sales force.
- Experience in managerial assignments with P&L Accountability for sales and/or operations in the millwork and building material industry are desirable.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customer or member of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management and public groups.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move 10 or more pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While the noise level in the office is minimal, work in the shop and warehouse may require safety equipment such as earplugs, eye protection, steel toe shoes, etc. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**This job posting is for information purposes only.
Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.
Call us at (704) 535-9939 or find us at www.SchafferAssociates.com