LBM Dealer Looks to Hire General Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a branch location of a regional Mountain States lumber yard and building materials chain. Our Client is looking for an individual with experience in store management in the building supply industry with a focus on both the retail consumer and building trades. Under the general direction of the Regional Operations Manager, this position involves responsibility for all day-to-day operations of the store facility and related duties as assigned. This particular lumber yard is pro focused but has retail traffic, as well.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The General Manager will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
- Coordinating and directing store operations by directly supervising sales, yard operations, and office functions.
- Ensuring that the store maintains a positive impact on customers.
- Conferring with customers and outside representatives to evaluate and promote possibilities for improved and expanded services in area.
- Monitoring operations requirements and results, which may include capital expenditure proposals and facility workforce requirements.
- Reviewing costs, quality, and inventory programs to maintain profitable operations of the store in support of both the construction trades and the retail consumer.
- Formulating marketing strategies, implementing plans, and auditing results.
- Directing coordination of policies and procedures among subordinate personnel to ensure implementation by all employees.
- Recommending budgets to management.
- Assuming complete accountability for profit and loss within the store.
- Ensuring timely distribution of merchandise within the standards of budget, policies, and quality to satisfy the requirements of the store.
- Developing and implementing methods to improve productivity within established payroll and expense budgets.
- Training and developing supervisors to provide management depth.
- Ensuring efficient space utilization within the facility.
- Developing programs and procedures to increase sales and distribution capacity.
- Ensuring adherence to procedures, which promote the health and welfare of all associates in the distribution center’s operating departments.
- Establishing safety programs required by OSHA; ensuring compliance of these programs by subordinate supervisors.
- Managing personnel issues, including hiring, training, discipline and terminations, of employees; conducting performance appraisals of employees.
- Assigning duties to subordinates.
- Coordinating activities of store with activities of sales, record control, and purchasing departments to ensure availability of merchandise
- Reviewing bills of lading for incoming merchandise and customer orders in order to plan work activities.
- Establishing operations procedures for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of merchandise, and managing inventory.
- Abiding by all safety rules set forth by company and governmental regulatory agencies, and ensuring that hazardous conditions are reported and corrected.
Education & Experience Requirements
The qualified candidate for General Manager must meet the following education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business from a four-year college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Administration or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of finance, economics, accounting, personnel, and sales with 2 or more years of sales or other related management experience, plus a minimum of 3 years supervisory/management experience.
Other Skills & Abilities
The General Manager must possess the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
- Ability to negotiate with internal and external sources.
Our Client compensates its branch General Managers with a competitive base salary, plus bonus opportunity tied to location profit. It is also pleased to offer an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP).
Schaffer Associates is an executive search firm specializing in talent acquisition for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As premier executive recruiters with expert focus on your industry, we help you HIRE SMART. Contact us today for help with your officer-level or mid-management level search.
Call us at (704) 535-9939 or find us at www.SchafferAssociates.com
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.