National Building Products Distributor Looks to Hire General Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager in the Denver, CO, market for a leading national distributor serving the building materials industry. Reporting to the Regional Vice President, the General Manager will be responsible for P&L, top line sales, gross margin, and all direct costs of an assigned geographical sales and distribution district. Additionally, the position will encompass all aspects of sales and operations within the assigned district—namely sales, customer service, logistics/distribution management, inventory, and personnel.
For more information, please contact Brian Hyder at (704) 535-9939 or Brian@schafferassociates.com.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Supporting and driving sales force effectiveness and key productivity initiatives.
- Supporting multiple branches that are average (in terms of size and profitability) among the company’s facilities.
- Aligning local market strategy with corporate strategy to maximize long-term profit / return on working capital; communicating strategy and plans to entire team.
- Demonstrating a thorough understanding of the market and establishing the company’s visibility in the market; defining and executing key metrics for district’s success; identifying and driving key business development opportunities / new revenue streams.
- Managing all aspects of logistics points in assigned district; ensuring that all customer commitments are met and best practices are implemented for safety, safety certification, material handling, inventory management and delivery; overseeing all aspects of logistics performance / productivity for assigned logistics points; managing key metrics and driving out variances.
- Managing and developing relationships with key customers in assigned district and determining strategy for value proposition and product penetration; managing all aspects of customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Maximizing sales efforts by focusing sales employees’ time on largest most profitable opportunities; managing sales representatives to improve profitability, product penetration and product mix with all customers; conducting joint sales calls with sales representatives to identify opportunities and maintain / build customer relationships (including sales representative coaching / mentoring); deploying resources to maximize results.
- Managing inventory levels (including slow, inactive, liquidations/large buys and damaged inventory flow) and aligning local product mix with local market dynamics and product strategy.
- Leading a team; hiring employees, developing team objectives, coaching, and evaluating performance; ensuring that direct reports obtain applicable training and development opportunities to enhance performance, development, and contributions to the company; holding direct reports accountable for individual and team performance; addressing performance issues appropriately and in a timely fashion.
- Traveling (at varying levels) on behalf of the company.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, related field, or equivalent industry experience preferred; Master’s Degree is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in related field preferred.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong skills in strategic planning, negotiation, understanding/analyzing financial statements, qualitative and quantitative analysis, forecasting, problem solving, decision making, innovation, change management, and strong interpersonal/people skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills; ability to function effectively at different levels in a team environment.
- Sales and marketing experience preferred.
- Extensive product knowledge, consultative and relationship selling skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Software and relevant sales systems technology.
**This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.