Vice President of Supply Chain Needed for LBM Dealer
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Supply Chain for a highly-respected lumber dealer. Our Client supports nine locations, as well as a buying office located in Portland, OR where this role will be based. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President of Supply Chain will be responsible for product sourcing, cost management, vendor negotiations, logistics, and inventory management. Just as importantly, he or she will have responsibility for providing the relevant analyses of performance that will support the growth of product categories that fit our Client’s core competencies and maximize sales opportunities in each of its markets. Finally, the position will involve developing and leading initiatives to enable branch and field management to better support the company’s customers with comprehensive and diverse inventories tailored to local market needs and with quality service options designed to create customer efficiencies.
- Interface as a member of the Executive Management Group and contribute effectively toward improving overall company performance in all areas.
- Lead the Purchasing team to develop purchasing programs and implement product line review disciplines to improve cost of goods, rebate structure, accounts payable dating, deal buying, etc.
- Ensure lowest total cost of product ownership by addressing all elements of the purchase equation, to include freight costs, freight/duty recovery, and internal-external logistics costs.
- Improve company focus on inventory productivity through analysis and program development in areas to include forward buying, inventory management, inventory days on hand, intra-company transfers, profitable disposal of surplus inventories, etc.
- Manage the project pricing system to ensure successful bidding on major projects, securing support and special pricing from vendors where possible.
- Fully integrate supply chain management into the company’s Falcon ERP system, and ensure that all company associates are trained on and responsible for managing on the system.
- Maintain awareness of competition relative to product value relationships, service offerings, and customer profitability. Anticipate market/business trends and develop plans for response.
- Assist in developing and implementing programs, guidelines, and reporting systems for safety initiatives as safety is the area of primary focus for all employees of the company.
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate’s Degree from a two-year college or equivalent experience. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Strong business background, with a decided preference for experience in the leadership of a company distributing building products to the professional trades.
- Knowledge of purchasing lumber, plywood, and building commodities for a multi-unit chain focused on residential and light commercial builders.
- Experience and skilled in negotiating with both internal and external sources.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in working with complex distribution and logistics to include working with freight forwarders.
- Knowledge of finance, economics, accounting, personnel, and sales.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common trade and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office. Knowledge of, and experience working with the Falcon ERP system would be a plus.
- Ability to integrate effectively with executive leadership and the field management team to establish rapport and credibility as a collaborative member of the team.
- Exceptional integrity, with a proven commitment to high standards and ethics in relationships with fellow employees, customers, suppliers, and trade partners.
- Ability to inspire others through a compelling vision of the future with the capacity to execute vision into action; possess ability to persuade, influence, and build consensus.
- Necessary leadership skills to drive continuous improvement through both existing and new processes with a dedicated team approach.
- Strong knowledge of developing and implementing systems that measure and report KPI metrics and provide actionable information to management personnel at all levels in an organization.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization as well as with customers, suppliers, members of the business community, etc.
- Strong leadership skills in coaching and developing employees, including mentoring the team, supporting their professional development, and evaluating job performance.
- As a trusted partner in the process, drive compliance, standards and hence profitability through policies, procedures, and processes.
**This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.