Consumer Products Company Seeks Product Development Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Product Development Manager for a consumer products company in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Our Client is a respected industry leader that distributes products nationally through consumer retail channels as well as commercial and B2B markets. Reporting to the Director of Product Development, the Product Development Manager will support the initiatives of the Product Development Team for assigned categories. The main focus of this role will be to participate and assist in the product development process, ensuring that consumer product goods are innovative, meet the needs of consumers, and align with the business objectives and goals of the organization. Additionally, the Product Development Manager must ensure that key milestones are achieved through clear, consistent communication working with cross functional teams in both the US and in China. Minimal travel will be required for this role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Assist in the research and development of new technology, materials, and categories for consumer product goods.
- Perform competitive analysis of product design, retail pricing, merchandising assortment, competitive shopping, product line review preparation, new product business cases, and market trend/competitive landscape research.
- ensure that key milestones are achieved through clear, consistent communication working with cross functional teams in the US and in China.
- Set up item numbers, maintaining item # database and managing item # matrices.
- Ensure product information and specifications in the system are accurate for assigned categories.
- Request, receive, and maintain product samples where needed.
- Assist in managing brand assets and facilitating brand direction where needed.
- Regularly investigate emerging trends, changes in consumer behavior, and competitive landscape changes; communicate this information on an ongoing basis with all business partners.
- Organize and maintain product drawings, specifications, and costing data in a centralized location.
- Assist in daily communications with the sales team and factory regarding the status of all projects.
- Assist with product usability testing and troubleshooting.
- Participate in industry tradeshows, as required, and develop a full understanding of the markets where products are sold.
- Create and adhere to product development timelines.
- Participate in sales and customer meetings when required.
- Create and / or proof product content for packaging, websites and other marketing materials.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Degree in Business, Marketing or equivalent experience
- Experience working with Asia factories is a benefit but is not required.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Able to receive direction as well as work independently using proper/appropriate judgment in all business-related decisions/actions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexible and able to work with a small degree of ambiguity
- Strong organizational skills, time and priority management ability, a keen attention to detail and able to meet deadlines
- Ability to multitask and manage changing priorities
- Pro-active with an ability to foresee issues and develop solutions as necessary.
**This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.**
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.