Branch General Manager Needed for HVAC/Commercial Roofing Distributor
[POSITION FILLED] We’re recruiting for a Branch General Manager (Atlanta, GA) for a leading distributor of HVAC and commercial roofing products. Our Client works with commercial and residential contractors, and is committed to partnering with its customers to help them grow their businesses.
Reporting to the President/CEO, the successful General Manager (GM) will maintain a strong balance between coaching and development, strategic planning, and customer relationship growth. The GM will lead the local branch team and must have the ability to identify and convey customer needs to all departments. Working with all leaders in a collaborative manner to improve the customer experience, profitability and overall effectiveness, the GM will constantly look to the marketplace or other industries to find new ideas or concepts to help propel the Company forward in the industry.
For more information, contact Mike Briles at (704) 535-9939 or mike@ .
Industry: Distributor | Sector: HVAC/Commercial Roofing | Reports to: President/CEO Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The General Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Working to gain a complete understanding of a customer’s industry; understanding the issues and opportunities customers face and their key success factors.
- Building, communicating, and implementing a product strategy to support customers’ needs through services and solutions that provide for their overall profitability and success; the strategy should offer competitive differentiation and advantages over competition while contributing to bottom line results.
- Assisting in aligning with the best in class manufacturers that support the Company’s strategy; identifying needs or areas of product or service gaps and working with VP Sales and Marketing and VP Procurement and Supplier Management to develop solutions with existing or new suppliers.
- Coaching and Development of Staff:
- Working with the HR team to attract, retain, and develop long-term successful account managers, inside sales, and other key positions within the branch.
- Protecting organizational core values, and ensuring staff is conducting business and acting within the desired culture and with the highest integrity.
- Defining and supporting sales training programs that enable staff to achieve their full potential and support company objectives.
- Working closely with strategic manufacturing partners to facilitate close working relationships with regional and local sales teams.
- Directly responsible for achieving Branch P&L net profit, including gross margin growth, gross margin %, and market share growth within the geography and product groups.
- Identifying, monitoring, and communicating key performance metrics to branch organization(s).
- Developing and achieving yearly sales and expense budgets by assessing customers, market, and competitive trends.
- Creating and monitoring measurements that ensure the annual budget is achieved.
- Developing plans to achieve all sales, margin and net earnings budgets, and ensuring that these key metrics are achieved each year.
- Implementing incentive compensation programs that motivate the sales team to achieve company and product objectives.
- Organizational Management:
- Working closely with VP of Customer Service and VP of Sales and Marketing to confirm their complete understanding of the sales strategy and ensure adequate operational support is in place to deliver profitable growth.
- Monitoring customer, market, and competitive activity, and providing feedback to the Company’s leadership team.
- Working closely with the product management team to establish successful local supplier relationships programs; ensuring all marketing programs are effectively implemented.
- Representing the company at local or regional trade and industry meetings, shows, and conventions, as requested.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- The General Manager will be required to lead all branch personnel, and any subordinate supervisors that report to this position. In addition, the GM will be expected to carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems. Specific positions reporting to the General Manager include Account Managers, Inside Sales Representatives, and all warehouse and branch personnel.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate for General Manager must meet the following education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university.
- One to two years’ related experience and/or training.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
Other Skills & Abilities
The General Manager must also possess the following skills and abilities:
- Language Skills:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Skills:
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, including an understanding of Microsoft Office, email, and the internet.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.