Branch Manager Needed for LBM Dealer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Branch Manager for a well-established LBM dealer in Ohio. Our Client is a growing independent, pro-oriented lumber and building materials chain that operates multiple full line lumber yard branches and manufacturing facilities throughout northern Ohio. Under the general direction of the Director of Operations, the Branch Manager will be responsible for all day-to-day operations of the store facility, performing related duties as assigned to support current operations and to foster incremental growth. The Branch Manager’s responsibility reflects that of a true general manager with direct P&L authority for the branch location, along with management responsibilities for all operations, sales, administrative and warehouse personnel attached to that location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinating and delegating store operations by directly supervising branch retail sales, yard operations, and office functions.
- Managing the inside and outside sales personnel attached to the branch.
- Ensuring that the store maintains the highest possible level of customer satisfaction; conferring with customers and store associates to evaluate and promote possibilities for improved and expanded services.
- Monitoring operations requirements and results, which may include capital expenditure proposals and facility workforce requirements.
- Reviewing costs, quality, and inventory programs to maintain profitable operations of the store in support of both the construction trades and the retail customer.
- Formulating local marketing strategies (as an adjunct of company direction) and implementing plans and audits results.
- Administering and executing policies and procedures among subordinate personnel to ensure implementation by all employees. (This is inclusive off all aspects of personnel management, reviews, standards, and performance.)
- Recommending budgets to management during annual budgeting process and with monthly revised rolling forecast.
- Complete accountability for Profit and Loss within the store.
- Ensuring timely distribution of merchandise within the standards of budget, policies, and quality to satisfy the requirements of the store.
- Continually developing and implementing methods to improve productivity within established payroll and expense budgets.
- Training and developing talent at all levels (assistant managers, counter sales, outside sales, and operations personnel) to provide management depth.
- Ensuring adherence to procedures to promote the health and welfare of all associates in the store.
- Implementing company safety programs required by OSHA; ensuring compliance of these programs by subordinate supervisors and staff.
- Maintaining responsibility for hiring, training, discipline, and terminations of employees; conducting performance appraisals of employees.
- Assigning duties to subordinates.
- Coordinating activities of store with activities of sales, record control and purchasing departments to ensure availability of merchandise.
- Reviewing bills of lading for incoming merchandise and customer orders in order to plan work activities.
- Establishing operations procedures for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of merchandise, and managing inventory
- Abiding by all safety rules set forth by the company and governmental regulatory agencies, and ensuring that hazardous conditions are reported and corrected.
- Must be able to communicate on a peer level with:
- Branch Managers
- Component Plant Manager
- Sales Manager (MI Components)
- Must be able to communicate with Company Leadership
- Director of Operations (Direct Supervisor) and other Directors
- Corporate Leaders and Staff
- Close collaboration with Company Director of Operations, Branch Managers, and all Store Associates
- Engage Store Associates in real time communication for optimal customer service and highest possible margins
- High financial and business acumen are essential for success
- Problem solving and project management skills are critical
- Attributes of being nimble and resourceful are essential
- Facilitate problem solving methodologies with respect to contractor accounts
- Must be exceedingly well disciplined in work processes & time management
- Must be able to lead successfully in a competitive marketplace
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and similar computer applications
- Use and knowledge of company CRM with all key employees
- Knowledge and working experience with POS and Microsoft Office applications
KEY PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES
Financial & Operational
- Achieve or exceed budgeted sales and expense goals
- Meet or surpass any and all operating and performance metrics as presented by the Director of Operations
- Collaborate on company sales & marketing campaigns
- Implementation and adherence of the company CRM
Store Team Management
- Execute company operational procedures that result in reduced costs
- Contribute to meeting and exceeding sales and profitability goals through logistics oversight support
- Implement best practices
- Develop industry leading store team
Recruit and Staff Best-in-Class Store Personnel
- Establish a robust branch team
- Develop and train team to best in industry standards in technique and technology
- Set best in class safety standards at all levels of the store
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of management experience in a contractor and retail leadership position
- Minimum of 3 years of P&L experience in retail and contractor operations in the building materials or allied industry
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, and coaching skills
- Relocation may be required for advancement in company
- Business travel will be required at company’s direction
- All candidates will be administered Caliper profile assessment test as part of the hiring process
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.