Building Products Distributor Looks to Hire Director of Manufacturing
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Director of Manufacturing for a well-respected building products distributor to oversee the effective planning, directing and coordination of all functions for its manufacturing plants in the upper Midwest. Based in Minneapolis, the Director of Manufacturing will provide leadership to manufacturing personnel, ensuring that production schedules and delivery objectives are achieved in a cost effective manner. He or she will also be responsible for ensuring that product is manufactured to the highest quality standards and in a safe environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Provide leadership to manufacturing personnel. Responsible for ensuring that product is manufactured safely to the highest quality standards and service levels while achieving cost improvement goals
- Collaborate with relevant people / departments and coordinating all relevant inputs (people, plant and processes) to ensure production output and on-time delivery targets are achieved
- Plan, schedule and review workload to ensure production schedules and delivery objectives are achieved cost effectively.
- Ensure the shop floor has the necessary manpower, competence, skills, knowledge, space and equipment required to achieve production objectively
- Effectively manage the flow of materials from Receiving through Manufacturing
- Develop manufacturing goals and action plans in alignment with strategic initiatives and cascade clear expectations, accountabilities, and reporting mechanisms into the manufacturing organization.
- Define and execute continuous improvement strategies and initiatives to achieve business objectives
- Promote awareness, accountability, and active participation in company strategies and programs to achieve environmental and safety goals
- Develop and execute capacity and staffing plans to achieve supply plan requirements. Apply continuous improvement strategies to improve efficiency, productivity, lead time, and utilization
- Responsible for all materials management processes, including receiving, warehousing, inventory management, and all material flow processes from raw to finished goods storage
- Direct ownership of the KPIs in the following areas: Safety (TRIR, hazard observations); Quality (yield, complaints, DPPM, compliance); Schedule attainment and OTD; Inventory accuracy and turns; Staffing and employee development; Manufacturing cost (productivity, OEE, scrap, etc.)
- Provide leadership direction, coaching, and development opportunities to foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, career progression, ethical behavior, and a customer-first mindset
- Attract, train and develop exceptional talent
- Responsible for building a culture of continuous improvement
- Must be willing to travel
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Management or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of manufacturing experience preferred, preferably in an ISO 14385 environment
- Minimum 7 years of leadership experience
- Highly experienced in continuous improvement methodologies. Lean Sigma Black Belt preferred
- Working knowledge of Sales and Operations Planning
- Deep understanding and/or education of supply chain and inventory management systems and practices
- Working knowledge of quality management systems such ISO 13485 and/or ISO 9000
- Working knowledge of health and safety requirements and practices
- Strong team building and problem solving skills
- Proven track record in driving a diverse, inclusive, engaged, and ethical culture
- Possess a working understanding of leadership principles and management best practices
- Possess excellent personal organization and business administration skills in accordance with modern best practice methods
- Ability to build a high performance team
- Be personally energetic, dynamic, positive, and enthusiastic. Must possess the ability to think laterally and act through robust decision making
- Strong team player, results orientated, and sense of urgency to achieve business objectives
- Ability to perform in a dynamic environment
- Possess strong change management skills
- Strong influencing skills in a cross-functional environment
- Possess strong computer skills and competency in MS Office applications
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.