Building Products Distributor Seeks Vice President of Marketing
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Marketing for a nationwide building products distributor. The primary function of this position will be to provide “voice of the customer” to the sales and category management processes, thus creating a relevant product range that meets local, regional, and national market needs, and in turn, drives business growth. For more information, contact Brian Howell at (704) 837-4754 or Brian@SchafferAssociates.com.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Vice President of Marketing will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
- Establishing go-to-market strategy and execution (market mapping, targeting, lead generation, brand building, sales and marketing tools, performance analysis).
- Fully evaluating the existing market for the product category and developing marketing plans to maximize on the opportunity in those markets.
- Obtaining and delivering customer insights for local relevant product information.
- Working closely with the sales team to provide leadership and support in developing specific programs for key retail and professional accounts.
- Developing key category initiatives in order to meet key sales goals.
- Collaborating in preparing communication concepts for key categories.
- Building market/retailer network to maintain trend and product awareness.
- Ensuring consistent messaging across all Company communications.
- Establishing and tracking metrics to quantify the effectiveness of marketing activities.
- Coordinating primary and/or secondary market research (including customer surveys) to determine image perceptions, awareness, and opportunities for brand growth.
- Developing the marketing vision and strategies for promotions and programs.
- Developing marketing plans to meet revenue, profit, market share, and customer satisfaction goals set for the business.
- Developing and leading the strategic planning process by collaborating with the company organization and with customers to develop and implement comprehensive category plans, promotional programs, and revenue growth initiatives.
- Directing qualitative & quantitative market analysis leading to product, price, promotion, and placement recommendations for mass retail and service channels.
- Constantly exploring business development opportunities by keeping current with market and industry trends and competitors.
- Balancing business unit goals with long-term market trends and opportunities.
- Developing and directing goals for the product marketing department, and managing team members.
Education & Experience Requirements
The qualified candidate for Vice President of Marketing must meet the following requirements:
- A. Degree in Marketing (or related field); MBA preferred but not required.
- 10+ years of experience in marketing with a product management or channel management background in the building materials/home improvement/hardware industry.
- 5+ years in leading a Marketing team.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of the supply chain for the company’s products, including “voice of the customer” at all levels, as well as consumer understanding and ability to interpret insights against strategy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function at the senior management level, successfully interfacing with counterparts in Sales, Operations, Finance, and Human Resources to provide marketing and merchandising leadership.
- A thorough understanding of customer markets and trends in the building products supply chain.
- Strong research, analytical, budgeting, and planning skills with an ability to interpret customer data and insights in the context of company strategy.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.