Building Products Manufacturer Looks to Hire General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a building products manufacturer in Boston, MA. Reporting to the Vice President, the General Manager will lead the Company’s newly formed Commercial Business Unit. The scope of this position includes developing and implementing strategic plans; establishing policies and objectives for the business and organization in accordance with senior executive management; meeting deliverable outcomes; and performing the duties listed below personally or through subordinate managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Implement and improve the commercial “Go to Market” strategy, sales, and execution process to meet financial target set by senior management.
- Lead, guide and direct the Commercial Business Unit in a unified effort to provide value to the Company’s customers through best in class project acquisition and execution.
- Establishes responsibilities and procedures with the goal of making the Company more competitive and more strongly positioned to address the continued pressures of competition in the markets served or to be served.
- Take ownership and management of the Commercial Business Unit. Includes P&L, operating metrics, and creating and meeting established financial budgets.
- Introduce/implement new technology to enhance speed and accuracy of material estimates.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within the company’s commercial strategy.
- Develop and maintain a highly collaborative and positive working relationship with the Company’s leadership team, manufacturing division, and company personnel.
- Create and lead a comprehensive job close report process inclusive of profitability, estimate reconciliation, and real time process improvements.
- Understand and plan work according to project plans, scopes of work, change orders, shop drawings, inclusions & exclusions, mobilization requirements, subcontracts, purchase orders, and monthly pay estimates.
- Review all bid packages prior to distribution to customers. Review all correspondence/proposals prior to submission to customer to insure accuracy and completeness.
- Build the Company’s talent base for future growth by developing the managerial and business skills of employees at all levels and recruiting new team members to enhance the skills and capabilities of current employees within the organization.
- Work seamlessly with the Company’s window manufacturing division on project flow, product production as well as new product development.
- Embrace the tradition, heritage, and sense of community that is the hallmark of the Company brand.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S. in Construction Management or Business Administration, plus extensive experience in the management of commercial construction projects.
- Extensive general management experience in leading and shaping teams in a high growth environment
- 7-10 years or more of applicable work experience with divisions 6, 7, & 8
- Significant experience in negotiating contracts with customers and successfully resolving any disputes that may arise.
- Advanced knowledge of the construction industry, risk management and field operations.
- Self-motivated with the ability to operate independently to achieve results and can also work effectively as a member of a team.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, communication and analytical skills are necessary.
- High level of proficiency operating MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint and best in class project management / scheduling/ estimating software tools.
- Strategic planning and execution
- Demonstrable high financial acumen , P&L experience and having a track record of growth and profitability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Travel will be required.
General Manager Familiarity/Experience/ Competency with the following:
|Commercial Construction Sales||Executive Account Management|
|Construction Planning||Blueprint Review|
|Critical Path Scheduling||Design Review and Issue Resolution|
|Contract Negotiation||Budget Analysis|
|Estimating and Job Costing||Vendor and Materials Buy Out|
|Permits and Inspections||Organization and Time Management|
|Subcontractor Management||Quality Control|
|Subcontracts and Purchase Orders||Change Orders, RFIs, RFPs|
|Relationship / Rapport Development||Owner / GC/ Architect Liaison|
|Schedule of Values||AIA Billing|
|Prevailing Wage||Lien Waivers|
|Safety Documentation||Value Engineering|
|Job Close Reporting||Real Time Process Improvement|
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.