Building Products Manufacturer Looks to Hire Global Commodity Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Global Commodity Manager for a global manufacturer and distributor of building products and quality surface finishes. An industry leader for decades, our Client has developed the reputation for manufacturing high quality products, providing top notch service, and serving their community.
Largely focused on particle board and MDF, the Global Commodity Manager will maintain responsibility for managing performance, commercial terms, and strategic relationships with both direct and indirect materials suppliers. Qualified candidates will possess a strong knowledge of operations management and supply chain processes in a large organization, as well as a working knowledge of technical commodity and manufacturing requirements. This position can be based in various desirable locations around the U.S.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Managing performance, commercial terms, and strategic relationships with direct and/or indirect materials suppliers, as assigned. Main commodity focus will be particle board and MDF.
- Executing an Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and strategic commodity plans along with the VP Global Sourcing that will cover supplier development, multi sourcing, productivity, deflation, delivery, quality, and lead time improvement for selected commodities.
- Executing successful supplier transitions and negotiating and ensuring implementation of consignment, stocking/3PL solutions with suppliers to improve overall supply flexibility and responsiveness.
- Deploying Emerging Region and Transition (In-source or Outsource) strategies to meet both the total cost of ownership needs of the business and the dynamic supply needs of our factory locations.
- Maintaining continuous in-depth knowledge of market conditions, industry trends, and developing technologies to position cost effective commodity strategies.
- Establishing and managing key supplier performance objectives and quarterly business reviews, and communicating periodic results to plan.
- Resolving delivery and quality issues through root cause analysis and appropriate supplier escalations.
- Partnering with sites to effectively manage sourcing decisions including supplier evaluations, selections, and competitive bid processes.
- Managing and negotiating supply agreements in support of overall supply chain goals and objectives.
- Promoting and monitoring early supplier involvement in key product developments, using the supplier’s expertise to optimize quality and manufacturability.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA is a plus.
- 5-7 years’ experience in sourcing/procurement of particle board/MDF.
- MRP and logistics experience.
- Knowledge of effective technology-driven sourcing processes.
- Analytical skills with proficiency in Excel, MS Office Suites. Ability to run macros or complex reporting a plus.
- Additional knowledge of resins, kraft, deco paper, or other laminate commodities required.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Effective knowledge of operations management and supply chain processes in a large organization
- Working knowledge of technical commodity and manufacturing requirements
- Strong negotiation skills
- Project Management Skills
- Experience in new product introduction and manufacturing transitions (in-source or out-sourcing)
- MRP and logistics experience
- Experience with make-or-buy analysis, business proposals for savings projects requiring engineering resources
- Ability to work in a global, matrix environment
- Familiarity with Sourcing data warehouses and metric reporting a plus
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.