Building Products Manufacturer Seeks Managing Director
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Managing Director – Commercial Business Unit for a building products manufacturer in New Hampshire. Our client is a well-regarded manufacturer and distributor primarily focused on the professional contractor and other building industry professionals who renovate and build residential and light commercial structures. As the building materials industry continues to thrive, our client has successfully expanded sales into the commercial market. With this momentum, our client has identified the commercial construction segment as a key element to its growth and profitability strategy, and has consequently created the Commercial Projects Business Unit. Reporting to the Vice President of Sales, the Managing Director will be responsible for leading, guiding, and directing the newly formed business unit focusing on our Client’s light commercial business, with “commercial” projects being classified as multifamily, mixed use, hospitality, student housing, low and midrise office-retail, military housing, and assisted living/active adult communities. In particular, this role will involve developing and implementing financial budgets, strategic plans, and the commercial “Go to Market” strategy. The Managing Director will be responsible for staffing and developing the commercial projects team with the goal of building the commercial project pipeline, expanding product offerings, and moving into new geographic areas to increase business unit profitability, which includes targeted aggressive growth potential over the next five years.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Manage the Commercial Business Unit, which includes responsibility for P&L, operating metrics, budgeting, and team staffing and development.
- Establish, implement, and improve the commercial “Go to Market” strategy sales and execution process to meet established financial targets.
- Establish and manage executive level relationships with multi-family and commercial builders and developers.
- Create and/or strengthen relationships with executives in the light commercial segment, including project managers, architects, and other product specifiers.
- Define and implement project objectives, policies, procedures, and performance standards within the commercial projects business unit strategy.
- Manage complex proposals, ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Develop and maintain a highly collaborative and positive working relationship with the leadership team, manufacturing division, and company personnel.
- Provide on-going support and review, and recommend revisions or modifications to the corporate strategy to ensure business unit success.
- Interface regularly with leadership team and manufacturing division to ensure coordination of efforts in profitably building the business.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S. in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or commensurate work experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of applicable work experience in construction management with Divisions 6, 7 & 8.
- Proven leadership and record of accomplishment in light commercial sales.
- Experience in strategic sales planning and execution.
- Knowledge of contracting and change management
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Established strategic and critical analysis skills; strong project management skills.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills; ability to create and execute a business plan; demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of decision makers; interpersonal skills to interact positively across the company.
- Ability to influence and implement strategy; ability to set targets and design growth plans.
- Strong analytical skills, self-motivated, along with the ability to multi-task; ability to develop various sales and management strategies along with practical plans for implementation.
- Ability to build and lead a commercial project team; strong team-building attributes.
- Strong customer relationship skills; developed time management and organizational skills.
- Strong business, financial, and operations acumen, P&L experience and a strong track record of growth and profitability.
- Strong understanding and empathy of the needs of the light commercial developer and contractor.
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
- High level of proficiency related to MS Windows-based applications and best in class project management/scheduling/estimating software tools.
- Ability to travel.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.