Director of Sales Needed for National Lawn & Garden Manufacturer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Director of Sales, National Retail for the Atlanta, Georgia market. Our Client is a national manufacturer of organic lawn and garden supplies and prides itself on its commitment to doing the right thing for its partnership relationship with its customers. It also seeks to build its team with individuals that will have the best and most long-term impact on the Company. To achieve that end, our Client is looking for a Director of Sales, National Retail to manage and invest in relationships with all National Retailer merchandising teams, ensuring the achievement of sustained, profitable growth that meets or exceeds strategic plan objectives.
For more information, contact Bridget Tesler at (704) 535-9939 or bridget@consultSA.com
Industry: Manufacturer | Sector: Lawn & Garden
Reports to: President Location: Atlanta, GA
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
As the primary sales leader, the Director of Sales, National Retail will be responsible for the Company’s headquarter relationships with key national retailers. While the primary focus will be on The Home Depot and Lowe’s, the ideal candidate should have a strong, practical background with mass retail, warehouse club, and hardware co-op channels. Highly collaborative both internally and externally, the Director of Sales, National Retail will be highly solutions-oriented and communicative, ensuring ongoing alignment of internal stakeholders across Marketing, Operations, and Field Sales with key customer Merchandising, Marketing, and Logistics teams.
Additional responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Product line reviews.
- Spearhead the Company’s annual Line Review process with national retailers in conjunction with National Account Manager.
- Help ensure strategic company objectives are achieved regarding product assortment, new product placement, and cost pressure adjustments.
- Program negotiation.
- Take the lead role in spearheading negotiations of programs with national retailers to achieve a sustainable, profitable, and mutually beneficial outcome for the Company and its retail partners.
- New product development.
- Work closely with marketing and customer merchandising / buying staff to prioritize new product development opportunities and build buy-in to achieve product sell-in and margin objectives.
- Field Sales execution.
- Maintain constant communication and a close working relationship with Director of Field Sales to maximize in-store execution opportunities in support of customer and company objectives.
- Customer presentations.
- Oversee development of all national account customer presentations to achieve company and customer objectives.
- Business analysis.
- Work closely with Sales Analyst and President to maintain real time understanding of in-season sell-through trends.
- Identify metrics that are regularly tracked and integrated into decision-making.
- Budgeting & forecasting.
- Key leadership role in development and ongoing adjustments in season of key customer revenue budget and product forecast management to maximize inventory productivity.
- Promotional budget.
- Proactively manage promotional budget and results within established levels.
- POG & playbook assortment.
- Work closely with National Account Manager and Customer Merchandising staff, as well as Director of Field Sales to ensure that the Company is fairly and appropriately represented in customer planograms and off-shelf merchandising.
- Financial acumen.
- Ongoing engagement with company shipment, customer POS, and cost trends that impact annual company profit objectives.
- Online merchandising.
- With National Account Manager, work with customer online merchandising teams to optimize online assortment.
- Lead engagement of consumer reviews, as necessary.
- Customer marketing.
- Work cross functionally with the Company and customer marketing departments to pursue opportunities to build brand awareness through customer emails, garden club programs, etc.
- Sales & Marketing Leadership.
- Serve as key leader of internal Sales & Marketing leadership team that guides and directs efforts with key customers.
- Lead the Company’s growing National Account team.
- Be responsible for the mentoring and development of direct reports.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate for Director of Sales, National Retail must meet all of the following education and experience requirements:
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Business (or related); MBA preferred.
- A minimum of 5-7 years in progressively responsible Sales Leadership roles.
- Proficiency with Financial Statements.
- Strong existing relationships with key Home Center retailers (especially The Home Depot and Lowe’s Companies), as well as with Mass retailers, Warehouse Clubs, and Hardware Co-ops.
- Lawn & Garden background or strong familiarity with seasonal business preferred.
- Strong PowerPoint and presentation skills.
- Very highly skilled at building presentations that consider internal and external variables to achieve a satisfactory outcome for all parties.
Other Skills & Abilities
The Director of Sales, National Retail must also possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills, and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely collaborative analyses.
- A highly collaborative leadership style.
- A strong fit with the Company’s culture.
- A high level of integrity and humility combined with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.