Electric Supply Company Looks to Hire Sr. Vice President & General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Senior Vice President and General Manager of an electric supply company. Reporting to the President & CEO of the Company’s parent organization, the SVP & GM will be actively engaged in the leadership and management for all of the Company’s branch operations, with a specific focus on assisting branch managers in improving the sales and profitability of each location in an effort to grow the Company’s wholesale electrical business. In addition, the SVP & GM will be responsible for developing and leading initiatives to enable branch and field management to better support the Company’s customers with comprehensive and diverse inventories tailored to specific project requirements, local market needs, and with quality service options designed to create customer efficiencies. **This search is a confidential search. Relocation within the United States will be required.**
- Interface as a member of the parent organization’s Executive Management Group and contribute effectively toward improving Company performance in all areas.
- Represent the Company professionally to both the electrical trades and the community at large, working to ensure positive growth in the Company’s reputation for quality and service.
- As the business is largely dependent on major projects secured with its professional trade customers, work closely with those customers and the Sales and Project Management teams to secure new business and manage the resulting projects effectively through to completion.
- Assist in developing and implementing programs, guidelines, and reporting systems for safety initiatives as safety is a primary area of focus for all employees of the Company.
- Take responsibility for the general health and welfare of all employees, customers, and those in public contact with the Company’s operational services within the established guidelines of safety processes, policies, and regulations.
- Lead the Purchasing team in developing improved purchasing programs; implement product line review disciplines to improve cost of goods, rebate structure, accounts payable dating, deal buying, etc.
- Improve Company focus on inventory productivity through analysis and program development in areas to include forward buying, inventory management, inventory days on hand, intra-company transfers, profitable disposal of surplus inventories, etc.
- Manage credit and Accounts Receivable in order to achieve sales and cash management objectives by auditing field operations and participating in open, active dialog with customers, administrative, finance, and credit resources.
- Direct the budgeting process by branch and assess its subsequent execution; set actionable direction by branch to achieve desired growth results and to meet continuing opportunities.
- Champion the integration of Accounting and Supply Chain Management into the Company’s Falcon ERP system, and ensure that all Company associates are trained on and responsible for managing the system.
- Maintain awareness of competition relative to product value relationships, service offerings, and customer profitability; anticipate market/business trends and develop plans for response.
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate’s Degree from a two-year college or equivalent experience. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated competencies in managing an autonomous business unit and its P&L, with a proven ability to drive sales at acceptable margin levels in a competitive environment.
- A decided preference for experience in the leadership of a company distributing electrical products to the professional trades.
- 2+ years’ electrical sales or other related management experience PLUS a minimum of 3 years of multi-branch supervisory/management experience or equivalent.
- Experience and skills in negotiating with both internal and external sources.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in working with complex distribution and logistics dynamics to include working with freight forwarders.
- Knowledge of finance, economics, accounting, personnel, and sales.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common trade and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office; knowledge of/experience working with the Falcon ERP system would be a plus.
- Ability to integrate effectively with executive leadership and the field management team to establish rapport and credibility as a collaborative member of the team.
- Exceptional integrity, with a proven commitment to high standards and ethics in relationships with fellow employees, customers, suppliers, and trade partners.
- Experience with implementing and monitoring procedures and controls to ensure protection of inventory and other company assets at each step in the internal supply chain.
- Ability to inspire others through a compelling vision of the future with the capacity to execute vision into action; ability to persuade, influence, and build consensus.
- Necessary leadership skills to drive continuous improvement through both existing and new processes with a dedicated team approach.
- Strong knowledge of developing and implementing systems that measure and report KPI metrics and provide actionable information to management personnel at all levels in an organization.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization as well as with customers, suppliers, members of the business community, etc.
- Strong leadership skills in coaching and developing employees, including mentoring the team, supporting their professional development, and evaluating job performance.
- As a trusted partner in the process, strong ability to drive compliance, standards, and profitability through policies, procedures, and processes.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.