Expanding Home Improvement Retailer Looks to Hire General Managers
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for multiple General Managers for a home improvement retailer undergoing an exciting season of growth and expansion into the Western PA area. Our Client is looking for high energy individuals who exhibit a passion for customer service and know how to lead a team. In particular, General Managers are accountable for directing the complete operation of their stores within the specific guidelines of the Company’s policies in an effort to realize full profit potential.
The ideal candidate to serve in this position is a metrics-driven professional who is not satisfied with simply sitting behind a desk. General Managers are expected to lead their teams by example, understanding that this exciting position is far from an “office job.” Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, General Managers oversee staffs of 20-40 employees. Direct reports include Sales Managers, Distribution Managers, and Administrative Managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Recruiting and training store personnel; developing an effective organization that is totally customer oriented; ensuring that personnel are friendly, interested, well-trained individuals who will provide each shopped with a memorable shopping experience.
- Scheduling management and staff to ensure proper coverage at all times to maximize productivity.
- Ensuring an accurate perpetual inventory with emphasis on the Company’s out of stock program.
- Functioning as a “Stand-Up-Manager” on the sales floor, including directing activities, mixing with customers, and listening to their remarks and needs.
- Implementing the Company’s training program; ensuring that all personnel are trained for the entire selling floor.
- Managing P&L to budgeted profits.
- Walking the entire facility – inside and out – each day with various key personnel, reviewing readiness to do business and developing daily “To Do” lists as needed.
- Conducting weekly sales meetings to keep all personnel motivated and up to date.
- Maintaining the signage of all merchandise, including regular, discontinued, and sale signage; ensuring that all merchandise is properly signed.
- Knowing the local market and developing sales opportunities with the Vice President of Operations.
- Controlling shrink; handling internal, external, and paperwork issues.
- Planning, communicating, and implementing all sales events and promotions (proper signage, effective product presentation, training employees on the details of the events, and proper staffing).
- Controlling merchandise presentation, such as fronting, pricing, and housekeeping standards (everything must be very clean, including the outside area, breakrooms, and restrooms); implementing a store recovery program.
- Setting the tone concerning proper dress code and ensuring compliance from the entire staff.
- Completing performance appraisals and implementing staff changes when appropriate.
- Implementing and maintaining a plan for the sale of damaged and discontinued merchandise.
- Supervising preventive maintenance for building, grounds, and equipment on a timely basis.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.