General Manager Needed for Building Materials Dealer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a leading building materials dealer with multiple locations in the Midwest and Mountain States. Our Client is looking for an individual with experience in store management within the building supply industry specifically. Under the general direction of the Regional Operations Manager, this position includes responsibility for all day-to-day operations of the store facility and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Tasks
- Coordinating and directing store operations by directly supervising sales, yard operations, and office functions.
- Ensuring that the store maintains a positive impact on customers; conferring with customers and outside representatives to evaluate and promote possibilities for improved and expanded services in area.
- Monitoring operations requirements and results, which may include capital expenditure proposals and facility workforce requirements.
- Reviewing costs, quality, and inventory programs to maintain profitable operations of the store in support of both the construction trades and the retail consumer.
- Formulating marketing strategies, implementing plans, and auditing results.
- Directing coordination of policies and procedures among subordinate personnel to ensure implementation by all employees.
- Recommending budgets to management.
- Assuming complete accountability for profit and loss within the store.
- Ensuring timely distribution of merchandise within the standards of budget, policies, and quality to satisfy the requirements of the store.
- Developing and implementing methods to improve productivity within established payroll and expense budgets.
- Training and developing supervisors to provide management depth.
- Ensuring efficient space utilization within the facility.
- Developing programs and procedures to increase sales and distribution capacity.
- Ensuring adherence to procedures, which promote the health and welfare of all associates in the distribution center’s operating departments.
- Establishing safety programs required by OSHA and ensuring compliance of these programs by subordinate supervisors.
- Hiring, training, disciplining, and terminating employees, as needed; conducting performance appraisals of employees.
- Assigning duties to subordinates.
- Coordinating activities of store with activities of sales, record control, and purchasing departments to ensure availability of merchandise.
- Reviewing bills of lading for incoming merchandise and customer orders to be able to plan work activities.
- Establishing operations procedures for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of merchandise, and the management of inventory.
- Abiding by all safety rules set forth by company and governmental regulatory agencies, and ensuring that hazardous conditions are reported and corrected.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business from a four-year college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of finance, economics, accounting, personnel, and sales with 2 or more years sales or other related management experience plus minimum of 3 years supervisory/management experience.
- Administration or equivalent experience.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to negotiate with internal and external sources.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.