LBM Dealer Looks to Hire Assistant General Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for an Assistant General Manager for a lumber and building materials dealer in Virginia. Our Client is a well-established and highly regarded privately held company with a solid reputation with professional builders and contractors throughout the region. They are known for being highly responsive to meet the product and service requirements of the professional contractor. Their emphasis and successes are built upon quality products as well as consistent, responsive service. Notably, they operate on honesty, integrity, and respect, and pride themselves on partnering within the community they serve to be an employer of choice.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Assistant GM will be responsible for coordinating various business activities such as operating, manufacturing, engineering, planning, sales, and maintenance, as well as research and development. The Assistant GM must have broad experience as a pro dealer with management experience in outside sales, yard operations, and purchasing. He or she must also have P&L experience, and a background in install services is highly preferred. Compensation includes base salary along with an attractive incentive and outstanding benefits package. Please note that the Assistant GM will also function as a manager in training in order to move into a General Manager role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Plans, develops, and implements organization policies and goals.
- Coordinates activities of business such as operating, manufacturing, engineering, planning, sales, maintenance, or research and development, to effect operational efficiency and economy.
- Directs and coordinates promotion of services performed to develop new markets, increase market share, and obtain competitive position in industry.
- Analyzes business budget requests to identify areas in which reductions can be made and allocates operating budget.
- Confers with administrative personnel and reviews activity, operating, and sales reports to determine changes in programs or operations required.
- Directs preparation of directives to business administrator outlining policy, program, or operations changes to be implemented.
- Promotes and implements Safety Program to meet Corporate guidelines.
- Promotes organization in industry, manufacturing, or trade associations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university degree or equivalent; PLUS five years’ experience in the building supply industry in management positions; OR
- 10 years’ related experience in management; AND/OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems promptly; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; establishes customer service standards; provides training in customer service, develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
- Teamwork and Team Leadership – Defines team roles and responsibilities; supports group problem solving; ensures progress toward goals; acknowledges team accomplishments.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Sales Skills – Achieves sales goals; overcomes objections with persuasion and persistence; initiates new contacts; maintains customer satisfaction; maintains records and promptly submits information.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.