LBM Dealer Looks to Hire General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a successful building materials distributor in the Southeast. Our Client is seeking a sales-oriented General Manager to effectively grow sales, while maintaining a high level of customer service. Reporting to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis, the General Manager will be responsible for achieving agreed-upon objectives that are in keeping with industry standards. Selecting an individual with the right chemistry as well as the right talent for the General Manager position is critical to our Client given the unique needs of the Company. For more information on this opportunity, contact Bernie Alimonti at (704) 535-9939 or Bernie@SchafferAssociates.com.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The General Manager will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
- Achieving realistic budgeted sales and bottom-line profit objectives for each profit center.
- Managing and developing all reporting units to higher levels of productivity and professionalism.
- Leading a plan for personal development for all key managers.
- Managing company assets with particular emphasis on average accounts receivable collection days and inventory turnover.
- Identifying and developing new business opportunities to increase profitability and the Company’s market share.
The General Manager must meet the following experience requirements:
- A minimum of five years of successful general management experience in a contractor-oriented building supply business is required.
- Experience in managing a business with a truss plant is a plus.
Other Skills & Abilities
The General Manager must possess the following:
- The ability to manage and achieve measurable results with and through others.
- The ability to make tough but fair decisions, and to deal with personnel and customer issues as they arise.
- The ability to act as a Servant-Leader who is people-oriented and who will lead the team to achieve the Company’s long-term goals.
- A commitment to providing excellent customer service and quality products.
- An eye for innovative opportunities for growing and developing the organization.
- The ability to be a self-starter.
- The ability to see the big picture while not losing touch with day-to-day operations.
- The capacity to be bright and resilient, taking ownership of problems and making decisions in critical situations.
- The ability to maximize productivity and efficiency while maintaining focus on long-term goals and objectives.
- A track record of managing by the “numbers” and running a business using a “professional” management style.
- The ability to develop a successor.
- Strong character and self-confidence.
- A strong work ethic and a commitment to getting results.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Administrative skills and the ability to juggle many different responsibilities at once.
Our Client is proud to offer a competitive salary plus a performance bonus tied to achieving measurable agreed-upon objectives. Benefits include group medical insurance, profit sharing, and paid vacation. Reasonable relocation expenses will be reimbursed.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.