LBM Dealer Looks to Hire Yard Operations Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Yard Operations Manager for a lumber and building materials dealer in the Southwest. Our Client, a large, well-established regional chain, has over 20 locations and solid leadership. Reporting to the General Manager, the Yard Operations Manager for this location will be tasked with managing daily yard and warehouse operations to minimize shrink, to maximize productivity, and to optimize profitability, while satisfying customer and yard needs. In addition, the Yard Operations Manager will be responsible for providing customers with a shopping atmosphere that is well-maintained, clean, organized, and safe.
This position is key to the effective functioning of the yard and to the overall profitability of the Company. Importantly, the Yard Operations Manager will carry responsibility for managing varying amounts of Annual Sales and Average Inventory according to the size of the location. For more information, contact Bernie Alimonti at (704) 535-9939 or Bernie@SchafferAssociates.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing one subordinate supervisor who supervises a total of 1-15 Associates in yard operations.
- Directly supervising 2-3 other Associates.
- Managing overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the unit.
- Providing customer service (both personally and through subordinates) to contractors and professional builders to increase customers and individual ticket amount.
- Taking orders and resolving Customer complaints.
- Attaining monthly average sales per Associate.
- Complying with the Company’s Quality Customer Service (QCS) Standards.
- Monitoring and assisting in ordering inventory of merchandise.
- Taking special orders as requested and obtaining merchandise in the most expedient manner, including inter-yard transfers.
- Attaining average monthly gross profit per Associate and gross profit return on inventory goals.
- Overseeing unloading of incoming merchandise.
- Verifying truck ticket with purchase order to ensure that the correct merchandise is delivered and inventory is properly stated and valued.
- Hiring, training, motivating, supervising, and scheduling yard personnel to meet staffing needs.
- Ensuring compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Ensuring budgeted staffing levels are maintained and Associates obtain maximum productivity.
- Complying with the Company’s Associate Training (AT) Standards.
- Scheduling deliveries, pickups, and returns.
- Ensuring proper loading of merchandise on truck before departure and drivers are scheduled to meet customer delivery needs.
- Monitoring truck and forklift maintenance and usage; ensuring downtime and vehicle maintenance cost is minimized.
- Assessing yard layout and monitoring yard maintenance and housekeeping.
- Ensuring proper signage, and ensuring that yard is efficiently organized and maintained.
- Complying with the Company’s Yard Maintenance (YM) Standards.
- Recognizing and reporting safety and security concerns to General Manager.
- Minimizing problems through compliance with Company safety and security policies and procedures.
- Opening and closing yard/store and filling in for General Manager and/or Store Operations Manager as needed.
- Ensuring yard/store opens/closes on a timely and consistent basis.
- Adequately filling in for other management jobs.
- Managing Associates, assets, and inventory to achieve the Best Management Practices as outlined in the Management Bonus Program documents; ensuring the required number of Best Management Practices is achieved.
- Ensuring the required inspections and forms are completed to comply with the Corporate Fleet Maintenance Program; minimizing vehicle downtime and maintenance costs.
- Executing and logging scheduled cycle counts; maintaining accurate inventory counts.
- Attending and participating in all Company sponsored training programs as required.
- Achieving satisfactory participation, retention, and application of training program subjects.
- Performing any other duties, responsibilities, or tasks as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Associate’s degree (or equivalent0 from two-year college or technical school.
- Five to eight years of related experience (three to five years in supervisory role).
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Ability to act as a strong leader and coach.
- Solid knowledge of point of sale systems, basic business accounting, safety, and store security.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; and ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or Associates of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, sales, customer service, and training skills.
- Strong knowledge of building materials (especially commodities) products and lumber.
- Ability to operate computer equipment and programs.
- A valid driver’s license of the appropriate type and class issued by the state of residence to operate a Company vehicle is required.
- Driver’s record must be acceptable to the Company’s insurance carrier and must conform to all restrictions listed on the license in order to operate any Company truck or vehicle.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.