LBM Dealer Seeks Commercial Operations Manager for Atlanta Market
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Commercial Operations Manager (COM) in Atlanta. Our Client is a national LBM supplier that provides high quality building products to professional contractors and “BIY”-ers alike. Ranked as one of the Nation’s leading LBM dealers, the Company prides itself on its commitment to providing every customer with a highly individualized and positive buying experience.
The COM will provide overall management administration for the Commercial/Multi-Family estimating department and bid submittal process. Additionally, the COM will be tasked with providing technical direction and guidance to his or her subordinates, and ensuring that all facets of the project bid submittals are in accordance with design, budget, and schedule expectations. Importantly, the COM will have the opportunity to provide input and actively participate in marketing, market planning, and sales forecasting for future commercial project development. Finally, as he or she performs all functions and responsibilities in partnership with the Company’s Senior Management and sales staff, the COM will operate in context of the Company’s corporate vision, as well as its culture and code of conduct.
Our Client is pleased to offer a competitive compensation package, including benefits, for this position.
Industry: Pro Dealer | Sector: LBM | Reports to: VP National Accounts & Installed Sales
Location: Atlanta, GA
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the Commercial/MF estimating department.
- Manage departmental work flow.
- Introduce/implement new technology to enhance speed and accuracy of material/labor estimates.
- Supervise, manage, and direct the selection, training, development, evaluation, and work assignments of direct reports.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with Company sales staff, management, and company personnel.
- Present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, material/labor suppliers, and customers.
- Understand and plan work according to project plans, scopes of work, change orders, shop drawings, inclusions & exclusions, mobilization requirements, subcontracts, purchase orders, and monthly pay estimates.
- Create, update, review, and maintain budget for each project. Generate and present value engineering solutions.
- Review all bid packages prior to distribution to customers. Review all correspondence/proposals prior to submission to clients to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate must meet all of the following education and experience requirements:
- Four-year construction or business administration degree.
- Applicable work experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Five to ten years of applicable and extensive work experience in the management of construction segments.
- Significant experience in negotiating contracts with vendors and successfully resolving any disputes that may arise.
- Familiarity & Experience with the following:
- Construction Planning
- Blueprint Review
- Critical Path Scheduling
- Design Review and Issue Resolution
- Contract Negotiation
- Budget Analysis
- Estimating and Job Costing
- Vendor and Materials Buy Out
- Permits and Inspections
- Organization and Time Management
- Subcontractor Management
- Quality Control
- Subcontracts and Purchase Orders
- Change Orders, RFIs, RFPs
- Relationship / Rapport Development
- Owner / Architect Liaison
- Schedule of Values
- AIA Billing
- Prevailing Wage
- Lien Waivers
- Safety Documentation
- Value Engineering
Other Skills & Abilities
The candidate must also possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to operate both independently or as a member of a team to achieve desired results.
- Advanced knowledge of the construction industry, risk management and field operations.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, communication, and analytical skills.
- Moderate to high level of proficiency operating MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Proficient in using computerized project scheduling/estimating.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.