LBM Dealer Seeks Commercial Operations Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Commercial Operations Manager (COM) for an LBM dealer in Pittsburgh. Our Client is a national LBM supplier that provides high quality building products to professional contractors and “BIY”-ers alike. Ranked as one of the Nation’s leading LBM dealers, the Company prides itself on its commitment to providing every customer with a highly individualized and positive buying experience.
The COM will provide overall management administration for the Commercial/Multi-Family estimating department and bid submittal process. Additionally, the COM will be tasked with providing technical direction and guidance to his or her subordinates, and ensuring that all facets of the project bid submittals are in accordance with design, budget, and schedule expectations. Importantly, the COM will have the opportunity to provide input and actively participate in marketing, market planning, and sales forecasting for future commercial project development. Finally, as he or she performs all functions and responsibilities in partnership with the Company’s Senior Management and sales staff, the COM will operate in context of the Company’s corporate vision, as well as its culture and code of conduct.
Our Client is pleased to offer a competitive compensation package, including benefits, for this position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Overseeing the Commercial/MF estimating department.
- Managing departmental work flow.
- Introducing/implementing new technology to enhance speed and accuracy of material/labor estimates.
- Supervising, managing, and directing the selection, training, development, evaluation, and work assignments of direct reports.
- Developing and maintaining a positive working relationship with Company sales staff, management, and company personnel.
- Presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, material/labor suppliers, and customers.
- Understanding and planning work according to project plans, scopes of work, change orders, shop drawings, inclusions & exclusions, mobilization requirements, subcontracts, purchase orders, and monthly pay estimates.
- Creating, updating, reviewing, and maintaining budget for each project. Generating and presenting value engineering solutions.
- Reviewing all bid packages prior to distribution to customers. Reviewing all correspondence/proposals prior to submission to clients to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate must meet all of the following education and experience requirements:
- Four-year construction or business administration degree.
- Applicable work experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Five to ten years of applicable and extensive work experience in the management of construction segments.
- Significant experience in negotiating contracts with vendors and successfully resolving any disputes that may arise.
- Familiarity & Experience with the following:
- Construction Planning
- Blueprint Review
- Critical Path Scheduling
- Design Review and Issue Resolution
- Contract Negotiation
- Budget Analysis
- Estimating and Job Costing
- Vendor and Materials Buy Out
- Permits and Inspections
- Organization and Time Management
- Subcontractor Management
- Quality Control
- Subcontracts and Purchase Orders
- Change Orders, RFIs, RFPs
- Relationship / Rapport Development
- Owner / Architect Liaison
- Schedule of Values
- AIA Billing
- Prevailing Wage
- Lien Waivers
- Safety Documentation
- Value Engineering
Other Skills & Abilities
The candidate must also possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to operate both independently or as a member of a team to achieve desired results.
- Advanced knowledge of the construction industry, risk management and field operations.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, communication, and analytical skills.
- Moderate to high level of proficiency operating MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Proficient in using computerized project scheduling/estimating.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.