LBM Dealer Seeks Experienced General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a leading LBM dealer with multiple locations in the Southwest. Our Client is a privately-owned, four-state building materials dealer that services custom home builders, contractors, and professional remodelers. In operation for over 100 years, the Company is focused on growth by acquisition. Total annual sales for each of its locations exceed $350 million.
Under the general direction of the Market Manager, the General Manager will be responsible for all day-to-day operations of the store/yard facility and will be tasked with performing related duties as assigned.
For more information on this great opportunity, contact Nathan Tillotson at (704) 535-9939 or Nathan@SchafferAssociates.com.
Industry: Pro Dealer | Sector: LBM | Reports to: Market Manager | Location: Southwest Texas
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The General Manager will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
- Coordinating and directing store operations by directly supervising sales, yard operations, and office functions.
- Ensuring that the store maintains a positive impact on customers; conferring with customers and outside representatives to evaluate and promote possibilities for improved and expanded services in area.
- Monitoring operations requirements and results, which may include capital expenditure proposals and facility workforce requirements.
- Reviewing costs, quality, and inventory programs to maintain profitable operations of the store in support of both the construction trades and the retail consumer.
- Formulating marketing strategies, implementing plans, and auditing results.
- Directing coordination of policies and procedures among subordinate personnel to ensure implementation by all employees.
- Recommending budgets to management.
- Assuming complete accountability for profit and loss within the store.
- Ensuring timely distribution of merchandise within the standards of budget, policies, and quality to satisfy the requirements of the store.
- Developing and implementing methods to improve productivity within established payroll and expense budgets.
- Training and developing supervisors to provide management depth.
- Ensuring efficient space utilization within the facility.
- Developing programs and procedures to increase sales and distribution capacity.
- Ensuring adherence to procedures, which promotes the health and welfare of all associates in the distribution center’s operating departments.
- Establishing safety programs as required by OSHA; ensuring compliance with these programs by subordinate supervisors.
- Directing hiring, training, discipline, and terminations of employees; conducting performance appraisals of employees.
- Assigning duties to subordinates.
- Coordinating activities of store with activities of sales, record control and purchasing departments to ensure availability of merchandise.
- Reviewing customer orders and bills of lading for incoming merchandise in order to plan work activities.
- Establishing operations procedures for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of merchandise, and the management of inventory.
- Abiding by all safety rules set forth by the Company and governmental regulatory agencies; ensuring that hazardous conditions are timely reported and corrected.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate for General Manager must meet the following education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business from a four-year college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of finance, economics, accounting, personnel, and sales with 2+ years in sales or other related management experience and a minimum of 3 years of supervisory/management experience.
Other Skills & Abilities
The General Manager must also possess the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to negotiate with internal and external sources.
Our Client is proud to offer a compensation package of $80,000 to $90,000 with annual bonus opportunity.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.