LBM Retailer Looks to Hire Yard Operations Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Yard Operations Manager for a leading LBM retailer located in the Seattle area. Established in the early 1930s, our Client has built a legacy of providing builders with high quality building materials in a timely and professional manner. The Company largely services the new single-family construction market with a secondary focus on multifamily and commercial projects. The Yard Operations Manager will be directly accountable for: yard and delivery productivity; overseeing yard, dispatch and delivery personnel; employee development; delivery operations; ensuring equipment is well maintained; customer service; and securing company assets, including inventory. This is a senior management position, presenting the opportunity for upward mobility within the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Personnel Management
- Ensuring each employee understands their specific job and authority
- Clearly communicating Company/Store/Department goals on a scheduled basis.
- Following the Company’s comprehensive hiring process, including completing the required paperwork.
- Monitoring job performance.
- Increasing employee productivity, while controlling expenses and maintaining morale.
- Employee Development
- Establishing and maintaining an employee development program.
- Increasing employee satisfaction and productivity through coaching and mentoring.
- Performing employee reviews on a regularly scheduled basis, and developing plans for individual improvement.
- Delivery Operations
- Ensuring customer deliveries are organized to productively expedite customer demands and to maximize profitability and service.
- Making certain that product is delivered safely and efficiently.
- Customer Service
- Maintaining a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Ensuring inventory is safely stored and not subject to damage.
- Positioning inventory to effect maximum productivity.
- Making certain that inventory is properly accounted for.
- Securing inventory from the possibility of theft.
- Taking responsibility for the general health and welfare of all employees, customers, and those in public contact with our operational services within the established guidelines of safety processes, policies, and regulations.
- Responsible for ensuring that safety and regulatory related training is instituted and effective, both initially and when circumstances require re-training.
- Company Policies and Procedures
- Ensuring that all company policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Developing and maintaining regular lines of communication with employees, peers, and the General Manager
- Ensuring that the General Manager is immediately informed of any and all significant incidents.
- Ensuring that customers are informed when a delivery problem arises.
KEY CHARACTERISTS OF OPERATIONS MANAGER POSITION
- Authority: The ability to make decisions or changes without prior approval from the General Manager.
- Accountability for Results: The accountability for producing measurable results in the position. This includes accountability for meeting inventory, financial, operations and/or system objectives
- Results Through People: An emphasis on producing results through the efforts and cooperation of people.
- Risks: Being aware of and able to limit the Company’s risks from operations.
SPECIFIC JOB DEMANDS
- Frequent Interactions with Others – Being able to comfortably deal with multiple interruptions on a continual basis, always maintaining a friendly interface with others: spending time mentoring, training and coaching employees, and establishing and maintaining customer relationships
- Competiveness – Working within a demanding environment where consistently winning is critical. The job demands tenacity, boldness, assertiveness and a “will to win” in dealing with highly competitive situations
- People Oriented – The job demands a positive and constructive view of working with others. There will be a high percentage of time spent in listening to, understanding and successfully working with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds to achieve “win-win” outcomes
- Versatility – The job calls for a high level of optimism and a “can do” orientation. It will require multiple talents and a willingness to adapt them to changing assignments as required
- Following Policy – The job calls for complying with the policy or if no policy, complying with the way it has been done in the past
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in building supply industry yard operations management
- Staff Management – drivers, yard employees, dispatchers, loaders
- Yard organization
- Knowledge of software programs: including Microsoft Office Suite, Inventory tracking system, POS system
- Preferred but not required: forklift operator and forklift trainer certified.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.