Leading Retail Store Chain Seeks Regional General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Regional General Manager for a chain of retail stores in the western United States. Our Client prides itself on a positive company culture and their decades of success in growing from one store to today where they operate over two dozen locations across a multi-state region. This individual will have multiple direct reports including the managers of all stores and other staff members at the company headquarters.
Reporting to the CEO, the Regional General Manager will be tasked with developing and implementing strategic plans by establishing policies and objectives for the businesses in accordance with other senior leadership and corporation bylaws with the ultimate goal of making the respective retail enterprises more competitive and profitable in the markets they serve. This is to be accomplished by performing the following duties individually or through subordinate managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Performs those duties as prescribed by the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors, conferring with both to proactively define business strategies and objectives and to develop organizational policies.
- Establishes responsibilities and defines procedures with the goal of making all stores more competitive and more effectively positioned to address both the opportunities and the continued challenges of competition in the markets served.
- Works effectively with the store management in each of the Company’s locations to both achieve established financial budgets and operating metrics and to encourage unity among the teams.
- Leads, guides, and directs the headquarters staff in a unified effort to promote customer-focused programs and initiatives, profitable relationships with the vendors, and other marketing strategies.
- Reviews activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in attaining objectives, and revises objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions. Develops and enforces financial controls.
- Plans and develops personnel policies. Evaluates the performance of the management team for compliance with the policies and objectives of the organization and for its contributions in attaining Company objectives.
- Builds the Company’s talent base by developing the managerial and business skills of employees at all levels and by recruiting new team members to augment the skills and capabilities of current employees for future growth.
- Participates in meetings of the Board of Directors at the request of the CEO.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required; M.B.A. or other advanced degree preferred.
- 12-15 years of multi-unit, general management experience in the retail industry with full P&L responsibility and accountability.
- Demonstrated strong financial acumen with a track record of growth and profitability.
- Strong retail experience base, preferably in general merchandise, hardware, and/or specialty consumer product categories.
- Branch management and customer service experience is foundational.
- Experience in managing or direct interaction with retail headquarters’ functions to include Purchasing, Human Resources, Finance, IT and Loss Prevention.
- Documented focus on strategic planning, budgeting, and execution.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to make critical decisions while following Company procedures.
- Strong ethics and leadership background that align with Company culture.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, detail orientation, and persistent follow through.
- Willingness to be open to feedback from various sources and ability to provide feedback to individuals with various personality styles.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects at the same time.
- Ability to confidently lead, inspire, encourage, and motivate a successful team in accordance with the Company’s corporate culture.
- Confident, independent self-starter with competitive drive, initiative, a sense of urgency, and the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.