Lumber Dealer Seeks General Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager-Hilo for a highly-respected lumber dealer with nine locations around the Hawaiian Islands, along with a buying office located in Portland, OR. Reporting to the Vice President-Neighbor Islands, the General Manager will manage the location Sales & Operations team in Hilo, Hawaii. The successful candidate will be a strong sales leader and effective communicator with expertise in developing and maintaining internal and external customer relationships. In this role, the General Manager is accountable for P&L, branch budget, sales forecasting, and increasing market share for the location. Additionally, this role will be a key contact in promoting our client in the industry, with a strong presence in trade and manufacturing associations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Plans, develops, and implements organization objectives.
- Coordinates activities of division or departments such as operating, manufacturing, engineering, planning, sales, and maintenance.
- Directs and coordinates promotion of products sold or services performed to develop new markets, increase share of markets and obtain competitive positions in the industry.
- Analyzes branch budget requests to identify areas in which modifications can be made, to assure results in accordance with the approved budget.
- Confers with administrative personnel and reviews activity, operating, and sales reports to determine changes in programs or operations.
- Directs preparation of directives to division or department administrator outlining policy, program, and operations changes to be implemented.
- Promotes organization in industry, manufacturing or trade associations.
- Develops location business plan including a sales forecast.
- Ensures service levels meet customer needs and expectations.
- Develops, maintains, and improves customers, vendor, and employee relationships.
- Efficiently uses all assets including materials, machines, equipment, and people.
- Controls cost and determines future capital requirements of the business.
- Ensures workplace safety and compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Maintains high ethical standard in all business dealings.
- Reviews information to determine employee performance and areas of improvement.
- Implements and complies with required company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, related field, or equivalent industry experience preferred.
- 4-10+ years of experience in related field preferred.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven track record of creating and managing an outside sales force.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customer or member of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management and public groups.
- Experience in managerial assignments with P&L Accountability for sales and/or operations in the millwork and building material industry are desirable.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.