Merchandise Manager Needed for Home Improvement Retailer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Merchandise Manager for a growing home improvement retailer in the greater Pittsburgh area. Our Client is looking for a highly motivated “team player” who can establish great professional relationships, both internally and externally. In particular, the Merchandise Manager will have responsibility in the plumbing, paint, and electrical categories. Reporting to the Vice President of Merchandising, he or she will direct and manage product assortments, pricing, margins, inventory and GMROI within the assigned merchandise departments. As the primary contact with the Company’s suppliers, the Merchandise Manager will negotiate terms, rebates, advertising, and general vendor agreements for the Company. He or she will also work closely with the store operations group to ensure that merchandising, sales, and profit objectives are achieved. Finally, the Merchandise Manager will be responsible for staying up to date on trends and competitive issues within the relevant departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS
- Develop merchandising and assortment strategies to maximize sales potential of the departments
- Work with store operations to develop store specific strategies
- Develop promotional plans to support the Company’s advertising, merchandising, and sales strategies
- PROFIT GENERATION
- Set pricing for the highest potential margin generation based upon sensitivity and competition
- Negotiate most favorable costs and overall vendor terms, etc.
- Manage the culling of non-performing products along with a markdown strategy
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
- Oversee the basic replenishment within the departments to maximize – in stock levels – sales and inventory turn
- Ensure timely delivery of seasonal and advertised merchandise
- Ensure timely phase out of seasonal merchandise
- Continually monitor under-performing merchandise
- Attend industry conventions and shows to ensure an overall understanding of industry trends, new product categories, and new suppliers
- Shop the competition to be aware of pricing, advertising, and merchandising
- Provide input to the executive committee on the strategic direction of the departments and overall Company
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong background in home improvement industry required.
- Experience in plumbing, paint, and/or electrical categories strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in purchasing a plus.
- Ability to engage in regular local travel and occasional overnight travel.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.