Metal Fabrication Facility Looks to Hire VP Operations
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Operations for a metal fabrication facility in Western PA. The Vice President of Operations will ensure the production of high quality, competitive product as well as the timely delivery of this product from the Company’s manufacturing facilities to meet both customers’ requirements and the Company’s profit goals.
In coordination with the President, the Vice President of Operations will focus on opportunities to improve productivity. To do so, he or she will participate in preparing operating budgets, facilitating programs and policies, controlling inventory, managing logistics, and supervising and developing employees in the assigned areas of responsibility. Importantly, this individual will be part of the executive management team sharing overall responsibility for the Company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Sharing responsibility and accountability with the President for overall financial results and meeting Company growth and development targets.
- Developing capital expenditure requirements and assisting in the development of annual operating budgets.
- Interacting proactively with the rest of Senior Management to gain context and valuable information about the Company’s ongoing business and processes.
- Developing a strong leadership image and positive reputation by interfacing directly with employees (both formally and informally) through meetings and extensive one-on-one contacts that encourage open communications.
- Leading, guiding, and developing an employee organization through effective hiring, supervision, and performance evaluation techniques.
- Providing consistent direction and establishing rules, procedures, and work schedules to ensure the efficiency of the operation.
- Establishing a work environment that engenders positive energy, creativity, and teamwork among employees.
- Providing insight and direction in production management, plant layout, capital asset deployment, purchasing, inventory management, and cost control to profitably leverage Company assets to further expand current business, attract new customers, and optimize on current production capacity.
- Assuming responsibility for handling the variety of issues that arise with customers, production scheduling, shipments, employees, risk management, etc., with a focus on both resolution and prevention.
- Incorporating the most efficient use of technology and information systems through which the Company can maintain a competitive advantage in manufacturing.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 4-year degree in engineering or technical field required; MBA preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in the management of manufacturing functions.
- Metal fabrication, machining, and/or tool production shop floor background
- Six Sigma, 5S, LEAN manufacturing training and certification preferred
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong communication, organizational, and management skills.
- Intimate familiarity with MS Office and high quality MRP Systems.
- Thorough knowledge of precision manufacturing of value-added products. Understanding of reverse engineering would be a benefit.
- Ability to fully coordinate all efforts with other people, both above and below on the corporate chart.
- Problem-solving expertise.
- Proven track record of success in managing quality-focused lean manufacturing processes and developing strong net profit margins.
- High integrity
- Desire to learn
- Innovative, with a strong interest in new product development
- Strong commitment to budgetary limitations
- Modestly self-confident
- Detail-oriented; disciplined thinker
- Committed to excellence
- Willing to work to earn the respect of the team
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.