Metal Manufacturing Facility Looks to Hire Plant Manager
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Plant Manager for a metal manufacturer in Pittsburgh. Reporting to the President, the Plant Manager will be accountable to ensure the production of high quality, competitive product and the timely delivery of this product from the Company’s manufacturing facilities to meet both customers’ requirements and the Company’s profit goals. In coordination with the President and the Senior Management team, the Plant Manager will also focus on opportunities to improve productivity and to generate an optimum level of sales and profits for the Company. He/she will prepare operating budgets, facilitate programs and policies, control inventory, manage logistics, and supervise and develop employees in the assigned areas of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Assume full Profit & Loss responsibility and accountability to the President for the growth and development of the manufacturing function within the Company.
- Define and develop annual operating budgets, capital expenditure requirements, and all other financing requests. Maintain overall responsibility for achieving budgeted sales and profit goals.
- Interact proactively with Senior Management to gain context and valuable information about the Company’s ongoing business and processes.
- Develop a strong leadership image and positive reputation by interfacing directly with employees, both formally and informally, through meetings and extensive one-on-one contacts that encourage open communications.
- Lead, guide, and develop an employee organization through effective hiring, supervision, and performance evaluation techniques. Provide consistent direction and establish rules, procedures, and work schedules to ensure the efficiency of the operation.
- Establish a work environment that engenders positive energy, creativity, and teamwork among employees.
- Provide insight and direction in production management, plant layout, capital asset deployment, purchasing, inventory management, and cost control to profitably leverage Company assets to further expand current business, attract new customers, and optimize on current production capacity.
- Assume responsibility for handling the variety of issues that arise with customers, production scheduling, shipments, employees, risk management, etc., with a focus on both resolution and prevention.
- Incorporate the most efficient use of technology and information systems through which the Company can maintain a competitive advantage with its customers.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Education: 4-year engineering or technical degree required; MBA preferred.
- Management Experience: 5+ years’ experience in the management of manufacturing functions.
- Industry Experience: Machine shop and/or tool production shop floor background; gear manufacturing and pneumatic tool experience strongly preferred.
- Certifications: Six Sigma, 5S, LEAN manufacturing training and certification preferred
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong communication, organizational, and management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of precision manufacturing of value-added products. Understanding of reverse engineering would be a benefit.
- Ability to fully coordinate all efforts with other people, both above and below on the corporate chart.
- Problem solving expertise.
- Proven track record of success in managing quality-focused manufacturing processes and developing net profit margins.
- High integrity
- Desire to learn
- Innovative, with a strong interest in new product development
- Strong focus on cost control
- Modestly self-confident
- Detail-oriented; disciplined thinker
- Committed to excellence
- Willing to work to earn the respect of the team
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.