Outside Sales Rep Needed for Countertop Products Distributor
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for an Outside Sales Representative (Detroit) for a leading national distributor of flooring, countertop, wall tile, and hardscaping products. Our Client maintains distribution centers across the United States and Canada, and its product line includes natural stone products imported from over 36 countries on 6 continents. As a leading importer of natural stone, our Client carries an extensive offering of porcelain, ceramic, glass and quartz products. The Company maintains an inventory of over 75 million square feet. In particular, the Outside Sales Representative will be responsible for growing and developing the sales margins of the Company’s porcelain, natural stone, wall tile, and mosaic product lines with the retailer/dealer network located within an assigned geographic territory. His or her main task will be to increase penetration and growth of market-share with the Company’s targeted customers and products. While selling to existing accounts will be one of the main focuses of the position, developing new business relationships will be key.
Industry: Distributor | Sector: Natural Stone | Location: Detroit, MI
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to do the following:
- Develop relationships with current customers and potential customers within the specific territory.
- Assist customers by providing knowledge and training on company products to store personnel to ensure personnel is able to present product and negotiate well with consumers.
- Understand the Company’s products and market competition, and how to position products to overcome market challenges.
- Manage displays, samples, and selling tools for customer availability.
- Understand retail business financials in order to consult with dealers on retail pricing, advertising, promotions, and ROI.
- Quote prices, discuss credit terms, and prepare sales contracts for customer orders.
- Estimate dates of delivery to customers based on knowledge of the Company’s delivery schedules.
- Review and analyze various sales reports for the purpose of identifying sales potential with current and prospective customers.
- Utilize any and all marketing tools such as catalogs, brochures, and vendor collateral to broaden reach within the territory and promote the Company’s product line.
- Research and analyze customer needs and demands based on market information.
- Investigate and resolve customer claims/problems with deliveries, returns, and credits.
- Attend trade shows throughout the year as required.
- Travel 40% – 80% locally, with occasional national and/or international travel.
- Perform additional duties as required and or requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Strong math skills to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, area, and volume.
- Ability to determine solutions for customers.
- Results-oriented work ethic and the ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Valid driver’s license.
Education & Experience
The qualified candidate must meet the following education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree (required).
- Two (2) plus years’ experience in channel distribution sales.
Other Skills & Abilities
The candidate must possess the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills.
- Dedication to providing high level of customer service.
- Good organizational skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.