Plant Manager Needed for Quality Focused Door Production Facility
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Plant Manager for an independent lumber dealer’s quality focused door production facility in South Carolina. Reporting to the CEO, the Plant Manager will be tasked with general management responsibilities over the day to day operations of the plant. In particular, the Plant Manager will lead a team that is engaged in procurement, logistics, warehousing, manufacturing, and safety within the company’s manufacturing facilities, while focusing on continuous improvement and KPIs to drive efficiencies. Purchasing, Operations Manager, and Order Entry will all report to the Plant Manager.
Essential Duties & Tasks
- Planning and execution of all plant functions, including purchasing, manufacturing, shipping, quality, maintenance, inventory, warehousing, and safety.
- Working with management to ensure that the plant has the capacity to deliver products on time and in full per field schedule.
- Developing plans and testing for extended first shift and/or second shift implementation to be executed if necessary for seasonal spikes.
- Ensuring that all quality measurements are in place and consistently monitored to meet both company and industry standards.
- Creating a team environment, characterized by employee engagement and supervisory accountability, that works to support all aspects of field operations.
- Leading a culture that is passionate about excellence, thus enabling the company to move to the next level in quality and service.
- Ensuring a “safety first” work environment that is supported by strong employee “buy in.”
- Developing, documenting, and maintaining relevant KPIs in all areas of the plant; continually monitoring for improvement and generating necessary KPI reports for management.
- Effectively communicating with management on KPI reports and process improvement plans, as well as on overall plant status reports.
- Continually recruiting and evaluating employees to establish the best and most fully engaged staff.
- Using LEAN, DMAIC, etc. principles to improve processes and achieve better results.
- Developing and maintaining operational budget with a focus on improvement and long term profitability.
- Attending industry functions and staying current on industry news.
Behavioral Characteristics Required
- Operationally sound with an engineering focus.
- A leadership personality that integrates well with the existing employee team.
- Commitment, passion, energy, “fire in the belly,” etc. for the business, the customer, and the employee.
- A respect for the business standards, ethics, and protocols that have made the company successful in the past, but with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- The ability to come in and assess the culture and then propose changes, as necessary, to build both profitability and esprit de corps in the plant and throughout the company.
- A commitment to higher quality standards than those of the customers themselves.
- A persistence in identifying and eliminating the root cause of inefficient activities or erroneous behaviors.
- A focus on people, as demonstrated by the ability and desire to (1) coach, mentor, and counsel; and (2) enforce standards, introduce accountability to KPI initiatives, and constructively correct deficiencies.
- The ability (and desire) to work collaboratively with: (1) the plant team; (2) the field sales and installation teams; and (3) administrative personnel for the purpose of supporting the installed teams’ efforts in delivery high quality products in a timely manner.
- Comprehension (or direct experience, if possible) of the dynamics of working in a family-run business that has expansion plans requiring new outside talent.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, or equivalent field of study.
- Demonstrated successes in leading operations driven by continuous improvement initiatives.
- Prior experience managing multi-shift operations is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven track record of increasing profitability.
- Superior computer and analytical skills.
- Relocatable to South Carolina.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.