President Needed for Custom Metal Manufacturer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a President for a custom metal manufacturing facility in Pittsburgh. In particular, the President will ensure the production of high quality, competitive product and the timely delivery of said product from the Company’s manufacturing facilities to meet both customers’ requirements and the Company’s profit goals. He/she will immediately focus on opportunities to improve productivity in an effort to return the business to profitability. He/she will: participate in the preparation of the operating budgets; facilitate programs and policies; control inventory; manage logistics; and supervise and develop employees in the assigned areas of responsibility. Additionally, this individual will lead the executive management team, sharing overall responsibility for the Company. Importantly, the President will inherit EBITDA that needs improvement, which can come from improved sales of profitable products and greater efficiency in the manufacturing processes.
The President will be tasked with developing the strategic direction of the Company by assessing the full competitive landscape and matching the Company’s capabilities with the identified opportunities. This executive is expected to grow organic revenue by double digits and return the Company to high profitability. The President will lend expertise in sales and marketing to increase the capacity of the sales force to win high-margin business and to refocus the Company to a new product development-driven enterprise. In addition, with the importance of innovation in 21st century manufacturing, the President needs to instill a very responsive, data-driven management approach for operational decision making. A dynamic President is imperative to building a high-performance team from legacy and new people; creating a strong culture of transparency, creativity and accountability; and driving revenue, operating efficiencies, and shareholder value in sync with the pace of private equity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Maintain primary responsibility and accountability for overall financial results and meeting Company growth and development targets.
- Develop capital expenditure requirements and assist in the development of annual operating budgets.
- Interact proactively with the rest of Senior Management to gain context and valuable information about the Company’s ongoing business and processes.
- Develop a strong leadership image and positive reputation by interfacing directly with employees, both formally and informally, through meetings and extensive one-on-one contacts that encourage open communications.
- Lead, guide, and develop an employee organization through effective hiring, supervision, and performance evaluation techniques. Provide consistent direction and establish rules, procedures, and work schedules to ensure the efficiency of the operation.
- Establish a work environment that engenders positive energy, creativity and teamwork among employees.
- Provide insight and direction in production management, plant layout, capital asset deployment, purchasing, inventory management, and cost control to profitably leverage Company assets to further expand current business, attract new customers, and optimize on current production capacity.
- Assume responsibility for handling the variety of issues that arise with customers, production scheduling, shipments, employees, risk management, etc., with a focus on both resolution and prevention.
- Effectively represent the Company to the community, to the industry, and to existing and potential customers as well.
- Incorporate the most efficient use of contemporary manufacturing disciplines, technology, and information systems through which the Company can maintain a competitive advantage in manufacturing.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Education: 4-year engineering, technical, or business degree required; MBA preferred.
- Management Experience: 5+ years’ experience in the management of manufacturing functions and/or a supply chain; ability to read basic financial statements; experience with human resources issues and benefit plans; prior involvement in a strategic planning process
- Industry Experience: Precision manufacturing, machine shop, and/or tool production preferred.
- Certifications: Six Sigma, 5S, LEAN manufacturing training and certification preferred
- Other Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- An operating president with an entrepreneurial spirit and track record of driving organic growth in a manufacturing business
- Private equity experience as a distinct advantage
- Managed a P&L of greater than $10 million with strong profitability
- An engaging, high energy leader who will inspire the organization
- Professional depth and breadth in marketing and sales and manufacturing
- Prior experience in mergers / acquisition integration would be a plus
- Collaborative and cooperative with peer Presidents managing in a shared services environment
- Exposure to contemporary ERP systems strongly preferred
- Managed a manufacturing business
- Recruited, developed and retained talent
- Bright and articulate with superior critical thinking skills and financial acumen; expert in managing working capital
- Strong communication, organizational, and management skills.
- Intimate familiarity with MS Office and high quality ERP Systems
- Thorough knowledge of precision manufacturing of value-added products. Understanding of reverse engineering would be a benefit.
- Ability to fully coordinate all efforts with other people, both above and below on the corporate chart, and to provide leadership across all disciplines to ensure that corporate goals are achieved.
- Problem solving expertise.
- Proven track record of success in managing quality-focused lean manufacturing processes and developing strong net profit margins.
- High integrity
- Desire to learn
- Innovative, with a strong interest in new product development
- Strong focus on cost control
- Modestly self-confident
- Detail-oriented; disciplined thinker
- Committed to excellence
- Willing to work to earn the respect of the team
- Strong business and work ethic
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.