Territory Manager Needed for Building Products Distributor
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Territory Manager for a leading building products distributor in Connecticut. Our Client is dedicated to serving the customer first and maintains a strong commitment to ethics and integrity. Reporting to the Sales Manager, the Territory Manager will be responsible for selling a full line of building materials to assigned channels by performing a number of duties as outlined below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS
- Compiling lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from business directories, industry ads, trade shows, newspapers, the internet, and other sources.
- Staying knowledgeable on current market conditions, campaigns, and pricing.
- Calling on regular and prospective customers within the territory to solicit orders; speaking with customers on the sales floor or by phone.
- Displaying or demonstrating product using samples or catalogs to emphasize salable features.
- Quoting prices and credit terms; preparing sales contracts for orders obtained.
- Communicating and understanding competitive field level pricing across product categories.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with purchases contacts, customer ownership, and other critical personnel.
- Participating in monthly reviews with the Sales Managers.
- Participating in all assigned ride-alongs with company employees and vendor representatives.
- Estimating date of delivery to customers based on knowledge of production and delivery schedules.
- Working with Inside Sales Representatives to keep account activities up to date.
- Tracking stock levels at customer locations.
- Recording and submitting expenses per company policy.
- Completing required training as needed.
- Submitting itineraries, call reports, and any other corporate or local requirements.
- Visiting all prospective accounts to validate legitimacy.
- Coordinating customer training.
- Investigating and resolving customer problems.
- Attending trade shows and customer events.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Associate’s Degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong knowledge and understanding of CRM systems, Company Reporting Software, Internet Software, Excel Spreadsheet and Word Processing software. Knowledge of I-Pad use helpful. SAP preferred.
The Company’s core competencies are outlined below. Such competencies make the Company and its employees who they are in today’s marketplace.
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Ethics & Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.
- Integrity & Trust – Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Time Management – Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Approachability – Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early “knower,” getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Business Acumen – Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Composure – Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers, very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people–up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Patience – Is tolerant with people and processes; listens and checks before acting; tries to understand the people and the data before making judgments and acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process and proper pacing; follows established process.
- Peer Relationships – Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
- Planning – Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breakdown work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Self-Development – Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits.
- Technical Learning – Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge; does well in technical courses and seminars.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.