Vice President of People Needed for Global Mission Organization
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of People for a nonprofit ministry in the Charlotte area. The ministry is engaged in Bible translation and language development in remote and difficult places throughout the world. The Vice President of People will lead a team that is responsible for recruitment, onboarding, staff relations, compensation, and performance management for all people serving with the ministry, both in the United States and globally.
The Vice President of People must have demonstrated experience working with organization leaders to design and execute people strategies across a global organization. He or she must have a strong business acumen and the ability to translate the ministry’s goals and strategies into people-centered initiatives. Previous nonprofit or ministry experience is not required, though a capacity to adapt strategies and processes for the organization’s context is critical. Personal spiritual maturity as a follower of Jesus Christ and a commitment to embrace the ministry’s vision, mission, statement of faith, and values without reservation are required. The Vice President of People will report to the organization’s President and will also serve as a member of the ministry’s Senior Leadership Team. As a nonprofit mission organization, compensation is entirely donor-funded.
Essential Duties & Tasks
- Serving with the organization’s Senior Leadership Team, with a focus on people and performance.
- Identifying staffing priorities and managing the recruitment, selection, and retention of key staff.
- Designing and implementing new staffing strategies to enhance the organization’s effectiveness through people.
- Training and supporting managers to build healthy, high-performing teams.
- Overseeing onboarding of all new staff members, including employees, volunteers, and support staff.
- Designing and implementing the appropriate training and development programs for staff.
- Working with leaders and staff to strengthen our positive work environment, building staff engagement, and helping advance JAARS ministry initiatives.
- Participating in organization design efforts to ensure ministry areas have the right structure and people to support growth.
- Participating in workforce planning and identification of key talent needs.
- Ensuring compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Ensuring staff compliance with the organization’s HR policies and addressing issues proactively.
- Developing and maintaining human resources systems for the organization.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or a related field is required.
- Cross-cultural or multi-cultural training and experience is required.
- PHR or SPHR certification is preferred.
- 7-10 years of increasing human resources responsibilities, expertise, and experience.
- Proven success implementing talent acquisition and performance management systems.
- Proven success partnering with organization leaders to develop the people strategy.
- Experience recruiting professionals for both corporate and field organizations.
- Demonstrated HR project management experience.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Strengths in managing people and issues both positively and proactively.
- Experience with developing and delivering training for staff and managers.
- Strong knowledge of employment law and regulations (knowledge of international employment law is a plus).
- Proficient computer skills in online collaboration environments, HR systems and software, and desktop productivity applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal and change management skills.
- Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work well with others.
- Must be flexible and able to work in a dynamic, complex environment.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.