VP of Retail Sales Needed for Home Improvement Manufacturer/Distributor
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Retail Sales for a home improvement manufacturer/distributor in the Western United States. Our Client began designing and manufacturing their own products over 40 years ago. Since then, they have continued to expand their product lines and pride themselves on developing some of the finest home improvement products in the world. This role is responsible for establishing and maintaining business relationships with decision makers in The Home Depot, and for driving sales in their retail product categories.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Retail Sales will work both with The Home Depot and our Client’s internal Leadership, Sales, & Operations teams to coordinate key initiatives, drive business strategies, engage in Line Review & Promotional Planning needs, and provide key analysis and analytic-based support to manage and drive our Client’s retail in-store, special order, and e-commerce businesses at The Home Depot. This individual will need to establish strong relationships with The Home Depot’s Key Decision Makers that will provide opportunities to strengthen their position, grow sales and solidify our Client’s partnership with The Home Depot. The successful candidate will need to currently reside in or be willing to relocate to the West Coast.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Business Planning — participating in, activating, and implementing the development of an annual Customer Business Plan that supports Brand Plans and Channel Go-To-Market Guidelines.
- Managing and penetrating The Home Depot across relevant buying Departments; developing relationships that enable achievement of Customer Business Plans and objectives.
- Effectively promoting new items, pricing, promotional programs, merchandising activities, and programs that support Channel and Customer plans.
- Developing a consumer/category management approach with the Account; participating within the organization to help foster and develop continuous improvement.
- Manage stock mix with a concentration on correct assortment based rate-of-sale and space planning.
- Achievement of sales and profit targets.
- Develop new innovative product lines and retail merchandising concepts and displays.
- Lead, train and manage the Retail Sales and Service Team and related customer Merchandising Execution Teams (MET)
- Track and communicate competitive factors, trends, price movements, issues and opportunities at local and regional levels.
- Collect/develop and analyze sales reports and market feedback from internal sources, data, and customer POS in order to identify key issues, trends, opportunities and market share growth/decline for use in marketing and sales planning purposes.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Sales, or Marketing preferred; or equivalent industry experience.
- 7+ years of relevant sales/marketing/merchandising experience with The Home Depot or other big box retailers strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated history of key account sales/business development success.
- Strong leadership skills in coaching and developing employees, including mentoring the Team, supporting their professional development and evaluating job performance.
- Strong computer proficiency, including intermediate to advanced computer skills in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Moderate database skills preferred.
- Willingness to travel to meetings and visit stores, as required.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Broad range of analytical skills; business statistics and quantitative decision-making.
- Excellent verbal and phone communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization as well as with customers, suppliers, members of the business community, etc.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail; with the ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment and manage time effectively.
- As a trusted partner in the process, drive compliance, standards and profitability through policies, procedures, and processes.
- Ability to meet deadlines and budget requirements.
- Ability to evaluate aesthetic features and design.
- Exceptional presence, high-energy and self-directed.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.