West Coast Building Materials Supplier Seeks Vice President
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Purchasing, Logistics, and Operations Support for a major building materials supplier in Sacramento, California. **The qualified candidate must have experience in one-step distribution to residential and commercial builders.**
The Vice President of Purchasing, Logistics, and Operations Support will lead the development and implementation of programs, initiatives, and systems that will support enterprise goals and assist senior management in ensuring the procurement of high quality materials for distribution to the company’s multiple branch locations and onto its customer base. The position will report to the President and will be responsible for purchasing, vendor negotiations, and inventory management and, importantly, providing the relevant analyses of performance that will support the growth of product categories that fit the company’s core competencies and maximize sales opportunities in each of its markets. In addition, the position will develop and lead initiatives to enable field management to better support the company’s customers with comprehensive and diverse inventories tailored to local market needs and with quality service options designed to create jobsite efficiencies.
For more information, contact Jim Schaffer at (704) 535-9939 or Jim@SchafferAssociates.com.
*This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.*
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Integrate immediately and successfully with executive leadership and the field management team to establish rapport and credibility as a collaborative member of the team.
- Develop and provide data analyses of product and service performance levels to measure the profitability of those programs and to provide alternatives for improvement where possible.
- Maintain liaison role with corporate Information Technology team, developing and managing those initiatives important to the growth of the company.
- Learn fully the SAP system in order to better take advantage of its capabilities in supporting the various initiatives developed.
- Develop those systems necessary for the efficient purchase and management of high quality inventory as well as non-inventory assets.
- Assist in developing and implementing programs, guidelines, and reporting systems for safety initiatives as safety is thearea of primary focus for all employees of the company.
- Maintain awareness of competition relative to product value relationships, service offerings, and customer profitability. Anticipate market/business trends and develop plans for response.
- Establish performance criteria, in concert with executive and field management, for company programs to increase sales, margin and inventory productivity, assuming accountability therefore.
- Improve company focus on inventory productivity through analysis and program development in areas to include forward buying, hub/spoke inventory management, intracompany transfers, etc.
- Develop central purchasing programs and implement product line review disciplines to improve cost of goods, rebate structure, accounts payable dating, deal buying, etc.
- Develop programs to collect relevant information by market on primary product line and service pricing to provide direction to field management in optimizing pricing initiatives.
- Work closely with field management to develop store support systems to provide better productivities in replenishment, secondary product line pricing, and job support services.
- Participate actively on cross functional teams to develop programs that address strategic issues to include safety, human resource development, and asset management among others.
- As a trusted partner in the process, drive compliance, standards and hence profitability through policies, procedures, and processes.
- Assist as requested with merger and acquisition opportunities.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; MBA strongly preferred.
- **Candidate must have experience in one-step distribution to residential and commercial builders.**
- Exceptional integrity, with a proven commitment to high standards and ethics in relationships with fellow employees, customers, suppliers, and trade partners.
- Strong business background, with a strong preference for experience in the operations management of a company distributing building products to the professional trades.
- Documented successes in building the profitability of businesses in wholesale, distribution, retail or manufacturing through a strong sales and profit orientation; 10+ years’ experience preferred.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and the desire and ability to collaborate in implementing the resultant programs.
- Relevant, documentable experience in branch and/or business operations, regardless of size.
- Strong knowledge of developing and implementing systems that measure and report KPI metrics and provide actionable information to management personnel at all levels in an organization.
- Strong leadership skills in coaching and developing employees, including mentoring the team, supporting their professional development, and evaluating job performance.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office. Knowledge of, and experience working with SAP would be a plus.
- Ability to inspire others through a compelling vision of the future and an ability to execute vision into action; must possess ability to persuade, influence and build consensus among all parties.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement through both existing and new processes; leadership skills to achieve results and successes through a team approach, however, are a must.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization as well as with customers, suppliers, members of the business community, etc.
- Experience in and skill at negotiating with both internal and external sources.
- An abiding commitment to customer service, with the ability to respond positively to inquiries or complaints and to seek their resolution.
- Working knowledge of and the ability to comprehend financial reports, economic data, legal documents, and scientific and technical journals.
- Experience in short and long term budgeting and in interpreting financial measurements.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.