Adhesives Manufacturer Seeks Vice President of Sales
January 10, 2019 – Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Sales for a leading manufacturer of a variety of adhesives for consumer and industrial applications. Based in Ontario, CA and reporting to the COO, the Vice President of Sales will be responsible for leading in the development of the North American sales and market positioning strategies for all Company products in the retail and distribution channels. Through leveraging his/her overall retail channel knowledge and network, this individual will provide strategic direction to the Company in market penetration, product development, and competitive positioning to drive sales growth to big box retailers, hardware cooperatives, mass merchants, hardware distributors, club accounts, and others that may be defined as areas of opportunity. This individual will provide also strategic leadership and execution for the Company’s key brands and other products that may be developed in the future. In so doing, the Vice President of Sales will employ effective leadership practices that promote a culture of teamwork and integrity, and that encourage productivity at all levels within the organization.
The Vice President of Sales is the Company’s primary sales leader and must be capable of leading business development and sales strategy to deliver corporate strategic objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for P&L performance and for maximizing sales and profitability within the strategic guidelines established. **This position requires relocation to Ontario, California, significant product knowledge and experience in sales leadership in the adhesives and/or paint sundries segments, and knowledge of and strong relationships with customers (current and potential – Big Box, Mass, Co-ops, etc.), rep agencies, and distributors.**
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- In concert with senior management, develops a comprehensive strategy for increasing market penetration within the defined retail and distributor channels.
- In implementing the strategy, studies “route to market” options and defines organizational structure required to achieve the desired goals through a defined course of action.
- Assumes accountability for the definition and implementation of channel strategies, market level pricing, and business terms/conditions to maximize profit and growth.
- Leads the sales development process at the corporate headquarters level for key accounts, both existing and prospective, and supports the Company sales team and independent reps in the implementation of market level strategies.
- Works cross-functionally to provide input for development of new products and programs.
- Develops sales and marketing plans for all current and new products to include channel pricing strategies, promotions, and merchandising plans to meet budget goals.
- Responsible for P&L performance for the retail and distributor channels to include sales, pricing, promotions, and SG&A expenses.
- Provides support, training and development, and leadership to the following: Sales Managers, Key Account Sales Manager, Inside Sales Manager, and independent reps.
- Directs and assists in the development and communication of sales programs and policies by trade channel to Sales Managers and representatives.
- Effectively develops and maintains relationships within large, complex national and regional accounts in the retail and distributor channels.
- Develops strategic vision for key accounts and is able to adjust as accounts’ needs and competitive environment changes.
- Monitors competitive behavior and recommends actions where necessary to counter competitive strategies.
- Represents Company through involvement at trade shows, with professional organizations, and at sales meetings.
- Creates and fosters a customer-focused culture, where the sales team is motivated to interface on a structured basis with customer influencers and decision-makers in an effort to increase business and exploit new market opportunities.
- Leads, mentors, and directs the Company’s customer service initiatives to ensure that customer needs and requirements are met in a timely and professional manner.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA would be a plus.
- Knowledge of hardware, home improvement, and consumer products industries.
- Adhesives, paint sundry, hobby, or stationary experience would be a benefit.
- Experience in managing both company and independent sales reps on a national basis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to positively interact with customers at the officer level as well as with department managers, subordinates, and third-party rep agencies.
- Knowledge of and experience with product line reviews at major retailers.
- Expertise and proficiency with basic office computer software, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Passionate for growth, with a focus on excellence.
- Organized, strategic thinker with high ethical standards and professional demeanor.
- High sense of urgency, energy, and enthusiasm balanced with a disciplined approach to decision making.
- Experienced sales leader and strong communicator with the documented ability to build successful organizations and produce profitable results by working collaboratively.
- Able to communicate advances in technology and identify technology trends while adapting and leading in the change process.
- Competent in achieving defined goals in a smaller company environment with limited resources, prioritizing the investment of time and assets to achieve optimal results.
- Knowledge of key financial indicators, ability to read and interpret cash flow and income statements.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 50% to build the business.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.