Building Products Distributor Looks to Hire General Manager
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a General Manager for a leading national building products distributor. Based in the upper Midwest, the General Manager will have responsibility for P&L, top line sales, gross margin, and all direct costs of geographical sales and distribution, as well as all aspects of sales and operations within the district (e.g. sales, customer service, logistics / distribution management, inventory, and personnel). The General Manager will also support and drive sales force effectiveness and key productivity initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Aligns local market strategy with corporate strategy to maximize long-term profit / return on working capital; communicates strategy and plans to entire team.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of the market; establishes company visibility in the market. Defines and executes key metrics for district’s success. Identifies and drives key business development opportunities / new revenue streams.
- Manages all aspects of logistics points in assigned district. Ensures all customer commitments are met and best practices are implemented for safety, safety certification, material handling, inventory management and delivery. Responsible for all aspects of logistics performance / productivity for assigned logistics points. Manages key metrics and drives out variances
- Manages and develops relationships with key customers in assigned district and determines strategy for value proposition and product penetration. Manages all aspects of customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Maximizes sales efforts by focusing sales employees’ time on largest most profitable opportunities. Responsible for managing sales representatives to improve profitability, product penetration and product mix with all customers. Conducts joint sales calls with sales representatives to identify opportunities and maintain / build customer relationships (including sales representative coaching / mentoring). Deploys resources to maximize results.
- Manages inventory levels (including slow, inactive, liquidations/large buys and damaged inventory flow) and aligns local product mix with local market dynamics and product strategy.
- Varying levels of travel on behalf of the company is part of the requirement for this role.
- Leads team; selects/hires; develops objectives; coaches and evaluates performance. Ensures direct reports obtain applicable training and development opportunities to enhance performance, development, and contributions to the company. Holds direct reports accountable for individual and team performance. Addresses performance issues in an appropriate and timely fashion.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- 10+ years of relevant experience preferred.
- BS / BA Degree preferred; MS / MA / MBA a plus.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong strategic planning, negotiation, financial (specifically financial statements), qualitative and quantitative analytical, forecasting, problem solving, decision making, innovation, change management, and interpersonal/people skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills; can function effectively at different levels in a team environment.
- Sales and marketing experience preferred.
- Extensive product knowledge, consultative and relationship selling skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Software and relevant sales systems technology.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.