Controller Needed for Home Improvement Retailer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Controller for a multi-chain home improvement retailer in the Pacific Northwest. The Controller position is responsible for all accounting, financial, human resources, IT and administrative matters within the company. In particular, the Controller will oversee the operations of the accounting department and office personnel. He or she will be tasked with training and developing accounting staff to achieve company goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Prepare and approve annual operating, cash flow, and capital budgets.
- Coordinate month-end and year-end closing process.
- Analyze financial statements to pinpoint potential weak areas.
- Analyze cash flow, cost controls, and expenses to guide business leaders.
- Controls and reports on levels of inventory and its management.
- Provide human resources and safety management for the company.
- Provide for the safeguarding of all asserts of the company.
- Determines information needs at all levels of the company and provides data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for the choice of and management of all insurance matters in the company.
- Responsible for the timely collection of all monies owed to the company.
- Develops implements and enforces credit policy for the company.
- Responsible for all computer operations of the company including cash registers, hardware, software.
- Hire, train, and evaluate all office and accounting staff.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Business Administration.
- Prior experience as a controller, preferably in the retail environment.
- CPA preferred, but not required.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent command of retail accounting, physical security, retail store operations, retail purchasing, and inventory management.
- Must be proficient in Excel.
- Must be able to develop and manage budgets.
- Must be able to transform data into meaningful management information.
- Must be a capable negotiator, administrator, have excellent communication skills, and ability to interact with management, vendors and the general public.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.