Fleet Manager Needed for Leading Distributor Serving the Automotive Sector
March 7, 2019 – Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Fleet Manager for a leading distributor serving the automotive industry as well as a variety of other industry sectors. Reporting to the Vice President of Supply Chain, the Fleet Manager is responsible for the overall development and implementation of maintenance, compliance, cost containment, and improvement programs as they relate to the Company’s fleet. The ideal candidate will design and implement…in conjunction with corporate and regional Company management, vendors, & fleet operations…methods, procedures and systems designed to reduce fleet operating expenses and improve fleet performance and compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Work with regional field operations to execute on standardized procurement policies, evaluate opportunities to reduce procurement costs.
- Responsibilities include training of field fleet personnel, review of procurement spend, and managing exceptions through reports and metrics.
- Lead efforts to design and implement ways to improve productivity, service and cost performance of field fleet operations and maintenance programs.
- Work with field Fleet personnel to develop a staffing model to sustain operations standards. Responsibilities would include managing the training and development of Fleet personnel in areas of safety, compliance, and customer service.
- Create and publish monthly reporting on fleet performance.
- Execute on life cycle management programs for vehicles and execute on roll-out of national programs in the field
- Review Capital/Lease fleet requests and work with field management to streamline capital spend and fleet management processes.
- Support the field in DOT compliance, training, development and execution.
- Help manage the relationship with National Vendors and control operating costs with outsourced maintenance programs
- Assist in development of regional logistics operation pilot initiatives and drive compliance of overall fleet policy and procedures
- Identify and provide fleet services that address and satisfy field requirements and policy initiatives.
- Develop effective and attainable fleet operating expense programs.
- Coordinate effective fleet maintenance programs.
- Assist in the budget process as it applies to fleet purchasing, maintenance, and overall fleet operational expense.
- Prepare bid specifications and administer fleet related contract documents.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to optimize overall fleet management effectiveness.
- Prepare equipment specifications and coordinate procurement of new vehicles and equipment in conjunction with field operations.
- Establish fleet replacement guidelines for vehicles and equipment.
- Responsible for the identification, management, and proper disposal of any hazardous substances encountered or resulting from fleet related activities.
- Develop and administer effective/objective management reporting systems.
- Prepare and present information concerning operational fleet effectiveness and service levels to upper management.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelors or equivalent degree in related field.
- Eight to ten years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in fleet management.
- Knowledge of operations management, capital planning, and logistics management.
- Knowledge of process & financial analysis
- Experience in purchasing and management of vehicles (rolling stock)
- Strong analytical, project management, computer and communications skills.
- Prior work experience in logistics systems & process improvement
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of corporate fleet management and related equipment, DOT compliance, maintenance programs, and field operational procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of safety and fleet compliance principles and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of overall fleet management budgeting and cost containment processes.
- Considerable knowledge in the use of personal computer systems.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple work groups staffed with a diverse group of field employees.
- Ability to identify and recognize unsafe/non-compliant conditions or work practices.
- Ability to exercise good judgments and make effective decisions.
- Ability to plan, organize, and delegate work to achieve desired results.
- Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.