Global Manufacturer Looks to Hire Quality Engineer
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Quality Engineer for a global manufacturer of plastics in their Sheboygan Falls, WI facility. Responsible for providing leadership in the areas of product quality for injection molding and assembly, the Quality Engineer will be tasked with developing and implementing improvements to the quality system resulting in higher levels of quality measured by reductions in product place on QC hold, scrapped, internal rejections, customer complaints, customer returns, PPM rates, and Corrective Action Requests.
The Quality Engineer will also be tasked with living out the corporate values of treating people with dignity and respect, practicing leadership, driving continuous improvement, acting with a sense of urgency, promoting innovation, fighting for consensus, and managing through teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Along with Engineering, provide quality expertise for assigned Business Unit NPD activities, including but not limited to: design reviews, form, fit and function analysis, FMEA’s, etc.
- Collaborate with customers’ quality and engineering personnel to determine critical part features and review manufacturability of design. Make recommendations to modify customer part specifications and tolerate as necessary to support cost effective production.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives to improve quality, efficiency, and reduce scrap.
- Lead PPM improvement plan for strategic customers.
- Be a technical resource for the initiation and implementation of cost improvement plans on new and existing programs. Determine when process stability and capability studies should be performed on existing processes. Review and analyze results. Recommend changes to processes based upon findings and perform follow up to verify effectiveness.
- Implement/support systems and procedures that assure compliance with the quality management system.
- Coordinate measurements, layouts and testing as needed.
- Develop and submit PPAP documents for new product launches to meet customer requirements.
- Provide leadership, direction and clear information to manufacturing floor employees regarding product quality, quality systems requirements and operational methods.
- Field customer complaints, document corrective actions and provide leadership to teams for root cause analysis and solution implementation. Review and disposition warranty claims in partnership with Sales and Customer Service.
- Use and promote the use of statistics and other analytical tools for evaluating and improving product quality.
- Complete trend analysis for quality metrics, such as customer complaints, rework, and scrap to develop continuous improvement initiatives.
- Support and recommend improvements to the overall quality management system.
- Travel to other facilities or customers may be required to support business needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline; or equivalent mix of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Quality.
- 3-5 years’ experience operating under a certified quality management system (e.g. TS 16949, ISO 9001:2008).
- Recognition by ASQ as a CQE (Certified Quality Engineer), CRE (Certified Reliability Engineer), or CQM (Certified Quality Manager) is a plus.
- Experience dealing with plastic and plastic processes is a plus.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proactive and takes action without being prompted.
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from managers, sales and customers.
- Project management skills with a history of accomplishment.
- Communication – demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional work groups including supplies, customers and associates, both verbally and in writing. Excellent listening skills and diplomacy – skilled at handling situations without arousing hostility. Forge coalitions.
- Computer Skills: In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office required. Experiences with other quality software applications beneficial, (e.g. statistical analysis).
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.