Hardware Wholesaler Looks to Hire Replenishment Buyer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Replenishment Buyer for a regional hardware wholesaler in the Southeast. This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day inventory and service levels for the assigned product lines at Company distribution center locations. Reporting directly to the Merchandise Manager, this individual will contribute to the profitability of the assigned product lines by working to improve sales, gross margins, inventory turns, and advertising and purchasing rebates. As a primary responsibility, he/she will ensure the appropriate in-stock position for the respective product lines by managing the replenishment of each sku through the Company’s purchasing system. In addition, he/she will ensure vendor compliance regarding timely and complete order fulfillment, negotiate special pricing for the company’s advertising, monthly special, and annual trade shows, and review and advise regarding new products, programs, and promotions in his/her area of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Improve the overall sales and profitability of the product categories assigned.
- Review daily the in-stock position for all products assigned in both distribution centers and take whatever action necessary to ensure effective service levels to the customer while maintaining profitable inventory turns.
- Review open order files and receiving documentation daily to ensure that vendors are shipping on time and complete.
- Evaluate and implement programs and processes to improve the sales and gross margin contribution of all products in the assigned merchandise categories.
- On a timely basis, negotiate special purchases of inventory to support the Company’s circular advertising and monthly specials programs and its thrice-annual trade shows.
- Interact with vendors at trade shows and conferences to improve cost-of-goods and terms of payment on existing assortment.
- Work in concert with vendors to define annual promotional buying periods and co-op advertising opportunities for existing products.
- Take the lead role in evaluating both market and competitive advances in the assigned product categories and propose an effective course of action for the Company to take with both new products and outdated, distressed inventories.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree in Business preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in working at various levels in the hardware, home improvement, and/or consumer products industries.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in purchasing or replenishment of hardlines items for distribution into retail channels.
- Wholesale or retail distribution experience preferred, although direct-to-store purchasing experience will be considered.
- Vendor management experience with national manufacturers.
- Expertise and proficiency in working with ERP, MRP, or purchasing management systems; experience with E3 or K3 systems would be a benefit.
- Expertise and proficiency with basic office software, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Relocation, with Company assistance, to Knoxville TN area as necessary.
- No non-competition agreements or other limiting restrictions.
- Minimal travel to trade shows and conferences required.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.