Industrial Contractor Supply Company Looks to Hire Director of Sales
May 31, 2019 – Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Director of Sales for a fast-growing industrial contractor supply company, supplying mid- to large-size mechanical contractors in the industrial marketplace. Headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, our client has branches on the East Coast to support a national clientele. Up until their most recent expansion into the Northeast, the Outside Sales and Sales Support teams have been managed from the individual branch location, but with the opportunity for more profitable growth through a coordination of sales efforts, a senior-level Director of Sales role has been added to lead, guide, and direct these activities centrally.
The Director of Sales will report to the CEO and directly supervise all Outside Sales and Outside Sales Support personnel at both headquarters and branch locations, with accountability as follows:
- Meet or exceed company expectations for profitable growth in sales and gain in market share.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for effective territory and customer relationship management, eliminating overlap and redundancies while strengthening the supplier-customer relationship.
- Deliver exceptional service to and support of existing customers, including product application/ benefit training, marketing support, technical and bid preparation support, and timely resolution of customer concerns/ problems.
- Develop and implement an effective lead generation process to ensure that the sales team is knowledgeable of forthcoming projects and positioned to secure them.
- Introduce, implement, and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) that accurately measure sales and profitability by salesperson, by customer, and by project.
- Build an effective sales team at both the Outside Sales and Sales Support levels through training and coaching initiatives.
- Maintain a knowledge of competitive strategies and pricing in the market.
- Ensure that each existing customer and each qualified potential customer is identified and targeted for development by the Outside Sales team in the market areas defined.
- In coordination with senior management, lead the Outside Sales team with pricing initiatives on major projects to ensure success in profitably securing the respective bids for contractor customers.
- Demonstrate excellence in delivering effective visual and verbal presentations.
- Make joint customer calls and presentations with Outside Sales in order to improve both their selling skills and their success ratios.
- Coordinate with the Operations team at the respective branches to ensure the successful fulfillment on major projects.
- Work with Branch Managers and their Inside Sales teams to both help improve daily performance and to train and develop talent for future promotion to Outside Sales and Sales Support.
- Make sales calls independently on major accounts or prospective accounts as necessary.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree; an MBA would be highly desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of successful sales performance in the industrial contractor supply market, with at least 5 years’ experience in leading sales teams, preferably in multiple locations.
- Experience with business planning and financial reporting.
- Documented sales ability in closing prospective accounts and developing new business.
- Demonstrated proficiency and success in leading, guiding, and mentoring sales personnel in building profitable sales territories.
- Willing to travel up to 75% of the work week.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.