Lawn & Garden Manufacturer Looks to Hire Vice President of Sales
September 6, 2019 – Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Vice President of Sales for a lawn and garden manufacturer based in the Northeast. The VP Sales will be tasked with providing leadership, direction, and resource stewardship to the organization’s sales function. As the organization’s senior-most sales leader, the VP Sales is accountable for overall sales organization performance, the profitable achievement of sales organization goals, and for aligning sales objectives with firm business strategy. The VP Sales position is a senior Sales executive role with direct accountability to the President/CEO. As such, the position will functionally serve as the #2 role in a $150M+ company, with strong upside potential to a President’s role for the successful candidate. Please note that qualified candidates for this role must have solid experience with big box, co-ops, farm and ranch, etc. accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Aligns the sales organization’s objectives with firm business strategy through active participation in corporate strategic planning, sales strategy development, forecasting, sales resource planning, and budgeting.
- Accountable for effective sales organization design, including sales job roles, sales channel design, and sales resource deployment.
- Meets assigned targets for profitable sales volume, market share, and other key financial performance objectives.
- Leads learning and development initiatives impacting the sales organization, and provides stewardship of sales and sales management talent. The VP Sales establishes learning and development objectives essential to the sales organization’s success, oversees the effective delivery of training and development programs, actively assesses the value of training and development investments, and monitors learning and development outcomes to ensure high ROI.
- Establishes and governs the sales organizations performance management system. This includes establishing guiding sales organizational principles for managing performance, establishing and prioritizing critical performance measures for all sales jobs; overseeing the equitable allocation of organization objectives across all sales channels, markets, and personnel; and ensuring all key sales and sales management associates are held accountable for assigned results.
- Provides leadership to the sales organization’s management team, while fostering a culture of accountability, professional development, high-performance, and ethical behavior.
- Accountable for the sales organization support budget. Proactively assesses existing sales organization support investments, including those in technology. Ensures support investments yield productivity benefits consistent with established objectives. Provides managerial leadership to Sales Operations in meeting this responsibility, and works closely with the Chief Information Officer to ensure technology initiatives are implemented consistent with firm technology strategy.
- Leads sales organization change initiatives by continuously assessing the need for organizational change, championing change initiatives, and removing obstacles impeding constructive organizational change.
- Establishes and maintains productive peer-to-peer relationships with customers and prospects.
- Achieves assigned organizational objectives for sales, profits, volume, product mix, and other strategic goals.
- Supports the achievement of strategic objectives critical to other functional areas within the firm.
- **This position requires extensive travel.**
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Four-year college degree from an accredited institution; MBA a plus.
- Minimum fifteen years of consumer goods sales management experience in a business-to-business sales environment.
- Solid experience with big box, co-ops, farm and ranch, etc. accounts.
- Reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer
- Peer colleague to other senior staff-most functional heads.
- Direct report staff includes National Sales Managers; Sales Operations Manufacturing Representative organization.
- Provides indirect leadership to core sales support functions including Marketing; Service; Field Operations; Finance; Human Resources; IT.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.