Leading Automotive Distributor Looks to Hire Director of Major Accounts
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Director of Major Accounts for a leading distributor serving the automotive industry as well as a variety of other industry sectors. Based in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and reporting to the Director of Sales, the Director of Major Accounts will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the assigned accounts. Responsibilities will include calling on both purchasing personnel and senior management at these accounts with the goal of profitably growing sales for customer and company. The Director of Major Accounts will also act as a liaison between these assigned customers and the various functional areas within the company. Field responsibilities will include managing a team of field based sales associates engaged in sell out/pull through activities as well as local, regional and/or national training events. The Director of Major Accounts will be the face of the company to the customer and will project a positive and professional image at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Develops and executes programs and strategies to profitably grow sales for both customer and company.
- Actively monitors and analyzes key business indicators, including comparable store sales, gross margin, inventory levels and competitive trends.
- Seeks out and continuously develops knowledge and information about competitor activities, pricing strategies, merchandising and other tactics. Communicates this information to the Marketing Department.
- Develops and presents product knowledge training to customers at all levels in their organization.
- Audits stores on a regular basis to ensure appropriate execution of all field merchandising. Provides summary audit reports to customer and to the Director of Sales.
- Participates in annual sales and budget forecasting. Monitors sales to forecast and provides timely feedback/revisions as necessary.
- Monitors and manages display penetration and SKU status to identify opportunities for additional growth.
- Plays key role in line reviews as well as annual customer advertising/marketing meetings.
- Attends company sales and marketing meetings to contribute to company strategies and policies as required.
- Develops and presents advertising/promotional plans and ideas to customers to maximize brand exposure.
- Develops new accounts and channels as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field is required; an MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years progressive sales leadership experience, preferably in a multi-location environment, with a strong track record of results.
- Experience in managing major accounts in the automotive aftermarket sector strongly preferred, with a documented history of success in business and new account development.
- Experience managing field-based sales teams.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; must be able to interface with all levels of management including customers, new clients and key industry executives.
- A demonstrated track record of strategic thinking, positive sales results, and market share improvement in a value-based selling environment.
- Negotiates effectively in tough environments with large and small customers
- Must have ability to think strategically and understand implications of decisions both internally and externally.
- Must have excellent organizational, planning, and follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated capabilities in training and developing a major accounts sales team.
- Must be able to travel 30-60% of the time.
- Technologically competent with both standard Office programs and with CRM systems.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.