Leading LBM Dealer Seeks Chief Procurement Officer
Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) for a multibillion-dollar, national LBM dealer. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the CPO functions as the company’s senior procurement executive with responsibility for product sourcing, cost management and forecasting, vendor relationships, logistics, inventory management, and pricing across all business units and regions. To effectively meet the demands of these responsibilities, the CPO will develop the strategic and tactical plans necessary to achieve the defined objectives and employ the systems and processes necessary to verify achievement of those objectives. The CPO will also drive sourcing objectives in pursuit of meaningful reductions in total cost of goods and services procured while ensuring improvements in quality, competitiveness, and service levels. Finally, the CPO serves as the Executive team partner responsible for the sourcing and procurement processes that are necessary to meet the requirements of the company’s customer base in the context of the defined business model, and, where appropriate, recommend realignment of the strategic direction to improve overall profitability and market share for both the short- and long-term future.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Interact positively as a member of the Executive team, contributing positively to the strategic direction of the company and to the improvement of overall company performance.
- Guide the Procurement team in developing purchasing programs and disciplines to improve cost of goods, rebate income, accounts payable dating, cost forecasting, and pricing.
- Lead the development of annual and long-term strategic plans for all sourcing projects, ensuring clear alignment between sourcing objectives and customers’ interests.
- Facilitate supplier selection and oversee negotiated contracts for key strategic initiatives.
- Establish and manage relationships with suppliers by developing objectives and monitoring timeliness and quality of products/materials.
- Establish and enable the integration of best practices for the company, ensuring the best use of effective sourcing and supply chain tools, techniques, and processes.
- Assimilate external information to anticipate its impact across the business; develop associated strategies and action plans to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Lead and collaborate cross-functionally to ensure that defined Procurement objectives produce a competitive advantage for the company in cost, quality, and continuity of supply.
- Develop strong, productive working relationships with both suppliers and customers at the senior level as well as with stakeholders throughout the organization.
- As a trusted partner in the supply chain, drive compliance, standards, and hence profitability through policies, procedures, and processes.
- Establish appropriate performance metrics and monitor performance against them.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree is preferred.
- Strong business background, with a decided preference for experience in leadership in the supply chain distributing building materials to the professional builder trades.
- 15+ years of experience within the defined supply chain, with 10+ years in procurement, sourcing, or inventory management leadership.
- Direct responsibility for a procurement volume of at least $500 million, preferably to include both commodity and program product lines.
- Successful track record developing and implementing complex cost savings initiatives at all levels in the supply chain equation.
- Experience in centralization of procurement processes across an enterprise and in negotiating major supplier contracts across a range of services and commodities.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of the complex distribution and logistics processes in the building materials supply chain.
- Experience with Lean or similar methodologies and tools to drive continuous improvement
- Strong track record of developing and implementing strategic plans that have resulted in significant financial and operational benefits for the organization.
- Documented experience in maximizing productivity through the introduction of innovative and progressive procurement methods.
- Proven results in managing and developing talent, particularly in a changing corporate environment.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Team player who “leaves their ego at the door” and who maintains close communication and working relationships with key individuals throughout the company.
- Someone who can operate at a senior level, but who also demonstrates “hands-on” capabilities to better lead the team in achieving the desired results.
- Strong understanding of legal environment related to procurement contracts and agreements.
- Strong analytical skills, including modeling, scenario planning, problem solving, financial management, etc.
- Excellent people skills, including relationship management, communication, negotiation, influencing, planning, presentation, and motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, deliver and sustain successful sourcing operations and consistently meet and/or exceed goals.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment and willingness to make the tough decisions
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.