Sales Manager Needed for Adhesives Manufacturer
[POSITION FILLED] Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a Sales Manager for a leading manufacturer of a variety of adhesives for consumer and industrial applications in the Upper Midwest. The Sales Manager will be responsible for the implementation of sales and market positioning strategies for all Company products in his or her respected areas of responsibility. The Sales Manager for the Upper Midwest will hold this responsibility for the hardware co-op channel and the regional chains and ad groups that each co-op supports in a geography to be defined. In addition, he/she may be assigned key account responsibility for other national retailers and distributors. This individual will represent the Company as the primary contact with these retailers to ensure that existing programs are producing the desired results and to determine opportunities for expanding the Company’s products and programs. In addition, he/she will be the Company’s primary liaison with these customers and will provide the necessary feedback to senior management on customer service and satisfaction, competition, and product development.
Based in Chicago, IL and reporting to the Vice President of Sales, the Sales Manager will be directly responsible for growing profitable sales through these regional co-op retailers and other key accounts assigned in the hardware/DIY channel for the Company’s key brands, as well as for other products that may be developed in the future.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Implements the “route to market” strategy defined by the Company with the list of co-op regional retailers and key accounts assigned.
- Under the guidelines of this strategy and in concert with the VP of Sales, develops and implements tactics necessary to ensure increased market penetration with these accounts.
- Builds and maintains positive customer relationships at all levels as the primary Company contact.
- Maintains regular communication with key personnel at each of the assigned accounts and works closely with them to ensure that expectations are met and exceeded.
- Works closely with the Company’s customer service team to ensure that customer needs and requirements are met in a timely and professional manner.
- Cooperates with the VP of Sales and other Sales Managers in customer support activities with their respective accounts within the assigned geographic region.
- Coordinates and participates in account meetings, trade shows, and other industry events with the assigned accounts as the primary representative of the Company.
- Works closely with and assists in training and motivating independent representatives supporting the Company’s programs with the defined accounts, making joint customer calls as might be beneficial to improving customer service and profitability,
- Provides relevant industry, account, and competitive information to the Company to assist with marketing, pricing, and product development initiatives.
- In concert with the senior leadership, develops budgets for sales, net pricing, and selling expenses by product and by customer.
- Maintains accurate forecasts on an ongoing basis to ensure performance to budgeted goals.
- Plans and executes specific and general promotions and events throughout the year with assigned accounts; coordinates all such plans internally to ensure success.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Knowledge of hardware, home improvement, and/or consumer products industries.
- Adhesives, paint sundry, hobby, or stationary experience would be a benefit.
- National account and territory management experience in selling to and supporting hardware co-ops, their regional chain members, and other national retailers.
- Experience in working with independent sales representatives would be a benefit.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to positively interact with customers at all levels.
- Knowledge of and experience with product line reviews at co-ops and major retailers would be a plus.
- Expertise and proficiency with basic office computer software, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experienced key accounts sales representative with the proven ability to grow market share with hardware co-op chains at both a national and regional level as well as with other national retailers.
- Capability to profitably achieve said market share with a branded product line sold on value rather than on price or as a commodity.
- Documented competency in developing supplier/customer relationships that result in program successes for both his/her employer and the customer.
- Self-disciplined, with a work ethic that does not require direct supervision to encourage superior performance and achievement.
- Competent in achieving defined goals in a smaller company environment with limited resources, prioritizing the investment of time and assets to achieve optimal results.
- Organized, strategic thinker with high ethical standards and professional demeanor.
- High sense of urgency, energy, and enthusiasm balanced with a commitment to excellence.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 50% to build the business.
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.