Specialty Hardware Distributor Looks to Hire National Accounts Manager
February 21, 2019 – Schaffer Associates is recruiting for a National Accounts Manager (NAM) for a national specialty hardware distributor. Reporting to the Vice President of Sales, the NAM will be responsible for all aspects of sales through effective management of the sales function. The primary focus of the position will be to increase sales by developing new customers, through entering new markets, and by expanding existing sales through both product line growth and a concerted effort to maintain and support the needs of the existing customer base. All of this is to be accomplished within company pricing structures and established profit goals. The position will interface directly with the Vice President of Sales in the development of the strategic and tactical direction for each channel of distribution. In addition, the NAM will provide information on the markets and by customer in each trade class including competition, competitive products and programs, and product gaps for the annual planning process including profitability goals, forecasting and budget.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TASKS:
- Maintain and develop existing customer programs; identify new customers and new markets for the Company’s product line.
- Develop and monitor trade class sales forecast and budget.
- Participate with the VP Sales in the development of special sales programs.
- Assist in the development of trade class strategies and goals.
- Manage Rep Groups in defined area of country.
- Supervise, direct and monitor the activities of the mfg. reps for each trade class.
- Coordinate and develop sales plan for new product introductions in trade classes.
- Monitor market share information and overall programs to remain ahead of competition and grow the Company’s market share (requires frequent price shops)
- Monitor customer profitability and maintain proportionally equal programs for similar customers in trade classes.
- Assist in maintaining the profitability of the Company.
- Maintain expenses within approved budget.
- Requires travel to customer locations and trade shows.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- A business, accounting or engineering degree would be preferred, or any bachelor’s degree.
- Five plus years’ experience in sales and/or marketing for a manufacturer in diverse channels of distribution (home improvement, hardware wholesale, farm & agriculture and industrial distribution).
- Documented experience in working actively with and maintaining strong professional relationships with key customer decision makers and executives within various channels of distribution, including Hardware and Farm retailers, Hardware Wholesalers, and Mass Merchants.
- Profit management experience with success in selling profitability. Willingness to accept accountability for sales and profit development.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills, especially with mfg. rep groups and with peers in a cross-functional management environment.
- Self-starter, hands-on, team player with a strong, pragmatic, make-it happen commitment.
- Proven capabilities in strategic planning and tactical implementation of programs designed to build sales and market share. Strong and creative problem solving skills.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbally and in writing, at all levels within the organization and with customers.
- Creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to sell an idea or concept to supervisor, peers, and customers.
- Ability to function effectively in a multi-tasking environment under pressure. Actively involved at all levels within the supply chain to ensure the highest level of customer service.
- Excellent customer care and follow-up. Responds back to customer requests quickly and without fail.
- Basic Microsoft Office programs are required (must be intermediate to expert in Excel).
This job posting is for information purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Schaffer Associates is a national management consulting firm specializing in executive search and organizational strategies for the hardware, home improvement, building materials, and consumer products industries. As the premier management consulting firm serving the industry, we help build organizations and leadership teams that foster corporate growth and success well into the future.